Why are companies not utilizing the "show less of [x, y, z]" button more?

tricky1

For the past few years, increasing polarization of the left-wing (e.g., blasting Trump) and right-wing politics (e.g., slamming Sanders) made me want to stay from the news altogether, at least while I am using the internet or Youtube.

I found Instagram's "show [x, y, z] less" button very handy. I tried to actively block political news out from my Instagram feed and only show business news or only read about political news from business newspapers.

Then I started to wonder why aren't internet service providers (e.g., Google) or online stores (e.g., Amazon or Nordstrom) utilizing the "show less of x, y, z" button more.

As far as I know, collecting consumer data is the key to effective marketing, and many internet service providers are selling such user datas to 3rd parties. Such companies have marketed their products based on what the consumers like, e.g., based on their search or purchase history. But I think equally useful will be learning about their lack of interests or dislikes. I remember my experience of trying to buy a pair of pants but could not "filter out" cargo pants I was just not interested in. Of course Google does provide "-[*]" function to narrow down their search but it is not permanent and does not affect individual outcomes of the search.

Is there any explanation for why such companies are not utilizing the "show less of [x, y, z]" function? Is it because they are nevertheless trying to charge AD fees or sell unpopular brands?

I do not know whether it is technically possible, but I am wondering why there isn't a startup company that provides Google extensions or internet platforms (something like internet explorer) that specializes in this function.

P.S. Apologies if such idea already exists. I do not have industry expertise, and after the startup boom, probably almost all the "good ideas" have probably been exploited by MBA students and future entrepreneurs. Posting this as a question or in a wish to engage in a thought experiment.

@tricky1 They don’t need a button. They track everything you do, they already know everything about you. They may have removed it, but Facebook will even tell you in your profile what way it thinks you lean politically.

Buttons also kill the experience. And honestly the only reason that matters is it would throw the big companies into further hot water politically. They can’t s courage further tribalism right now which is exactly what you are describing does. Everyone living inside their sheltered bubble of the walls they put up isn’t generally a good thing.

P.S. Most major platforms let you click ads and say you don’t want to see that type of ad anymore. So in some ways this does exist for Googles core product already.

@junebug72 Thank you for replying to my post.

About politics - I agree with your view that tribalism should be avoided (at least ideally). At the same time, polarization appears to have gotten to the point that many reporting agencies have self-imposed a mission to repeat the news infinitely. Against this backdrop, I was imagining a programmer who develops an app or an extension to minimize exposure to (or even redact) certain topics. Because I thought to myself I would personally pay for such program, I wondered why no one has sold such program before.

About other consumer products - As you reminded me, yes some platforms do allow consumers to click ads and say they don't want it. Google and other online platform providers are probably tracking our every little movement within the webpage. But it is hard for me to figure out why other online stores are not utilizing it enough. For instance, I have never purchased or searched for cargo pants but still see them whenever I purchase pants from Amazon (or even from the default page recommendations). Especially for online clothing stores, which use "filter" buttons to allow consumers to narrow down selections - e.g., colors, sizes, and patterns - I wonder why buttons are not provided to exclude certain designs (e.g., no frills, no patches, etc.). Maybe it is because it kills customer experience, but I am not confident.

Just a thought.

@tricky1 You simply misunderstand how these platforms survive. You are suggesting a platform, let's say Google, let's you say "Nah, I don't want to see cargo pants, or ice cream, or tropical beaches in Florida"

Well, the cargo pants company, the ice cream company, and the vacation company all just told Google they no longer will be spending ad revenue, as the sales of all of their products just dropped.

You have to remember that YOU are the product on these platforms. You are thinking as though these platforms should be trying to make it better for you, but in reality, these companies are showing you cargo pants because they already know you are (a) looking for new pants, (b) they know for one reason or another you are the target demographic for cargo pants, and (c) They know they have a really great chance at selling you those cargo pants.

Your thinking is "I don't want these" but in reality, you do want them, you just don't know it. Google is smarter than you, and me, and everyone else. #ThanksSkynet

@junebug72 Thank you for the detailed explanation. It was educational. Didn't realize even online department stores (Macys, Nordstrom, etc.) have similar business model as Amazon. I thought those stores had incentive to actually sell those products, compared to stores like Amazon that are focused more on revenue stream from ADs. If that is the case, as platforms are in a sense selling [customers/users] to the sellers, probably they should focus more on the demographic overlaps.

Always good to be reminded often that Google is probably smarter than everyone else.

@tricky1 Facebook allows this. Google allows this in certain areas of their news feeds. They allow this to a certain degree but they try to do everything through automated algorithms.

Back