1-year old General Contractor: My accomplishments, work week, bills, and questions!

@chupee Thanks for the reply and the information!

As for your questions:

I have up to 5 guys that are kind of "floaters" that I use for all my fence, decks, framing, and painting. They range from injured veterans to a 2 time felon. I use these guys according to their background. The vets can go on any job, the felon can only be on jobs I feel comfortable him being. Outside jobs only, preferably only where the homeowner will never come in contact with him. I'm on every job working right next to them, so the work is always to my high-standards. I only use subs that come recommended by people I know and trust. I am fortunate enough to know two retired home builders from the area.

Would they make more money finding the jobs themselves? Yes, definitely, and sometimes they do. I add 20-25% on top of the bid I get from my sub. They all know they have to reduce their cost some or we won't get the bid, because my charge doesn't budge. The way I've been successful with concrete driveways and rationalize my more expensive bid is by including services the concrete only companies don't. I will have your irrigation moved, bring fill dirt in and plant new grass along the driveway so it's a clean finished look. Plant new trees and do new landscaping. Anything I can think of I ask them about. So instead of selling the driveway, I sell everything. I would think concrete companies would do this, but I've found surprisingly that they don't.

My experience with subs doing all the work? So far, it's been great. My machine operator and concrete installer are amazing. They are really the ones I've had the most experience with thus far, so the only ones I can comment on. We are all cut from the same breed. We all do it the best, so we are more expensive. Apart from actually being a trustworthy person, I come across as one and people are usually very comfortable with me very quickly and that comes into play when they rationalize my higher price.

@mightygodam Cool write up!

Have you tried giving referral bonuses to previous customers?

A bookkeeper doesn't cost that much. A CPA is going to be way too expensive for bookkeeping, which is what it sounds like you need. Maybe hire a freelancer off of Upwork?

@mightygodam I have yes, not for the same thing you would need but I have never had any problems! My only advice would be interview multiple people prior to deciding on one! You can also check a website called Fiverr.

@mightygodam I use it for written content and social media management, but you can find all kinds of freelancers. You need to sort through all the bad ones to find someone who works well with your style of doing work.

@mightygodam Get on Instagram. Post finished work and works in progress. The how-to people on IG can get a lot of followers. Just video stuff you’re doing anyway. Takes commitment but something to consider.

Here’s how to install a toilet
Here’s how to string a fence line
Etc.

I’m sort of in the trades and I love learning from these people.

@mightygodam Get your website back up. Get shirts with your logo and wrap your truck.
If your advertising pays for itself with the cost of one job, it’s worth it. Make sure your ads are consistent. You might have to pay for ad design, but it’s worth it.
Go for the RIGHT clients, not any clients. Decide what gets you the most cost/benefit/enjoyment. If you hate gutters, don’t do gutters. You will see the work you enjoy more is done better, it has heart.
Decide how much you can grow. If you can’t get the work force to do jobs, don’t bid them. The goal is to only turn down stuff that doesn’t align with your mission and vision.
I have more thoughts, pm if interested.
TEXAS FOREVER!

@mightygodam Network. Business FB pages don’t get much engagement unless running paid ads, it’s just the way FB works. Make “short blog” type posts on your business page and share them from your personal page. Make as many FB friends in your local area as possible, and write content that separates yourself as an expert in your craft. This will create trust and loyalty in your brand and get you new, organic leads.

@drewelcup Awesome advice. My website just went down this month for non-payment and I didn't ever do anything with it anyways so I didn't really care. Do you think I should get it back up and write my blog there or just use my business FB page?

@mightygodam I think it’s crazy not to have a website. You need a quality site to have a professional online presence.

For example, I’m currently in the middle of a $170,000 interior buildout for my company’s second location in Florida, and getting quotes on the third and forth. I wouldn’t even consider a quote from a GC that doesn’t have a website. You can have a great looking Wix website for $15 per month that will make you look like you care.

Definitely write the blog on your website with video and photo content, but copy the text content to your FB page and share the post on your personal page for maximal reach. I’m not in the construction business, but every one of our franchise owners is instructed to do this as part of their marketing and it works wonders.

@mightygodam Word of mouth, saw a couple FB ads, google searches. Facebook PPC and Google AdWords is your friend.

Develop a marketing budget, general rule of thumb is 10% of gross rev, hire photo/video freelancers that don’t cost more than 10-20% of your budget to document some of your more intricate/impressive work and if you aren’t the best storyteller, hire an ad copywriter. Spend the rest on PPC, mailers flyers, yard signs, etc.

@mightygodam Also, I do foundation repair in Dallas and Houston is a big market for that too so this might apply as well. But maybe reach out to foundation repair companies offering your services. A lot of us don't do any of the cosemetic stuff when we are done and recommend contractors to our customers, but don't have many contacts. There's always a lot of damage that needs to be repaired when we are done either as a result of the foundation problem or us moving the house. Maybe even offer a kick back to the sales guys if you get a job from them. By that point in the project the customers already trust us, so they take recommendations from us very seriously.