$750/m passively

@neutral_i My main traffic source is the people who browse the Google Play Store for specific content. For example, if someones favorite TV Show is Rick and Morty, and they happen to search for it in the Google Play Store, if I had a Rick and Morty soundboard deployed there, they'd see it and download it and view the ads in the app.

@ngozichukwuka This was my first question to myself before I began development, so I Googled a bunch and some random Internet people say that it is in breach of copyright and that the owners of the content have grounds to sue, but from other random Internet people, they say that since the audio files are less than 25 seconds, that it can be used under fair use and that it'll have to be on a case by case basis.

I'm not a fan of trusting random Internet people, so I decided to talk to a lawyer on this matter and what he said was that if you use content such as Rick and Morty, then it is a fact that you'd be using content that you don't own and gain monetary value from. It is also a fact that Adult Swim don't care about your shitty soundboard app lol (yes, this lawyer is a friend of mine).

His thoughts were basically that I shouldn't worry about it but I also shouldn't only make soundboard apps that are eligible to be taken off the Google Play Store for copyright infringement because it's easy for someone to report the app and that the owners aren't going to care that you're making $30/month off soundbites.

In saying all that, I'm well aware that copyright is an important thing to consider as the core of this idea is based on content. I have setup an LLC specifically for this venture to contain itself for that reason.

@blazy777 In the US, the owner of the copyright can sue you for $30000 in statutory damages per infringed work (which in the Rick and Morty example, would probably be per episode sampled from).

If they can show "willful infringement", then the damages go up to $150,000.

So even if they "don't care about your shitty app" per se, they still have a monetary incentive to sue you, and you could be liable for millions of dollars.

Also, acting through an LLC is not always sufficient to stop them from going after your personal assets. It is often not difficult to "pierce the corporate veil" of a single-owner LLC and recover personal money.

Your lawyer friend is giving you terrible, potentially life-ruining advice.

@blazy777 Do you add many buttons? How many sounds do you normally do? Did you find a sweet spot or just freeball how many sounds you add? I presume this is all add revenue or do you sell the soundboards?

Not my domain but really interested in how people find success in such concepts.

@elizhum Do you add many buttons?

So I technically don't have to add buttons to the app. All I have to do is open my soundboard platform, create the app by literally clicking "New App", fill out the metadata for the app such as name, owner, version etc and add the audio files and when I click "Build" it generates the app based on the data I provided and then deploys it to the Google Play Store all in one click.

How many sounds do you normally do?

Depends on the topic. If I were to do a TV Series, I'd get the viral quotes and split them up by character. I usually do maybe 20 sounds per category? My users tell me if I'm missing a quote, so I end up having to add more sounds later, which I can easily do using the platform I built.

Did you find a sweet spot or just freeball how many sounds you add?

Again, depends on the topic, but I'm able to retrospectively update the sounds for each app in real-time, even while people have already downloaded the apps. I have notifications built in to all apps so if I've added more sounds, they'd get notified and would be able to update their sounds over the Internet.

I presume this is all add revenue or do you sell the soundboards?

Correct. It's all ad revenue, however I will be rolling out paid versions of these apps very soon so users won't get disturbed by ads. I have thought of selling the soundboards and know people that are interested in this concept, but if I'm going to sell something, it'll be in the form of a subscription to my platform as that's how I've been doing most of my business ventures. I have a few SaaS ventures that bring in revenue.

I have also thought about selling the entire thing, but I haven't gauged interest in this yet.

@blazy777 Are the source sounds from copyrighted sources? I'm thinking you're talking about like the ones used to make prank calls with celebrity voices like 15 years ago? Are you worried about liability for copyright infringement if so?

Back