A step-by-step guide to starting a tent rental business on a shoe-string budget

lovedsecurefree

Hey all,

I've posted here a few times and had some great responses, met some great people, and even helped a few launch their own rental businesses, but today I wanted to get really detailed on tent rentals. Here is a step by step guide to starting a small tent rental business / side-gig / sweaty startup in the leanest, least risky way possible. Please note - this is the "shoe-string" approach meant to spark people's motivation and interest. This approach is certainly not the best or fastest way to grow a tent rental business.

Ideally you would have:
  • pickup truck or trailer* (*note, there is a certain style tent that can be transported with a car, more on that below)
  • storage (garage, shed)
  • ~$2k in startup funds.
Its not a deal-breaker if you don't have these things but it certainly helps.

We would be starting with 20x20, 20x30 or 20x40 pole tents or canopy tents (lightweight style tent used for backyard parties). DO NOT BUY JUNK. Junk tents wont last, you will waste money and potential embarrass yourself or hurt someone.

Here is a "non-junk" canopy style tent. These tents are fine. They arent the best quality, but they will do the trick and if you take care of them, there's no reason they cant last 5+ years. https://www.gettent.com/tents/presto-otc-party-canopy-tent.asp

So, if you wanted to try this business on an extremely shoe-string budget here is how it should work.

Steps (in chronological order), details on each step below
  1. create a website and Google Business listing
  2. create facebook and instagram pages for the business
  3. do some lightweight sales / promotion.
  4. book your first job
  5. buy equipment
  6. practice a few times at home or in a park
  7. do your first event
  8. get reviews and pics from your first event
  9. setup and run google ads
  10. as more jobs roll in, you may decide its time to get insurance, incorporate the business
  11. add more inventory
---------------------

Details for each step:
  1. create a website and Google Business listing. This is an extremely inexpensive way to test demand and learn quickly. Squarespace websites are ~$20/mo + buying a domain for $20/year.
  2. create facebook and instagram pages for the business. While social media isnt the best for getting new customers, its great to have a social media presence so that you can reach out to potential partners in the space (event venues, caterers, event planners, etc)
  3. do some lightweight sales / promotion. Ask family and friends to leave a 5-star review on your Google Business page, start posting in local facebook groups, perhaps try a craigslist ad, facebook marketplace listing, etc
  4. book your first job. Demand for tent rentals / tent packages spikes during graduation season. Most established rental businesses in the area will sell out, eventually demand will flow to your business. Get a deposit and use that cash towards your first tent / equipment.
  5. buy equipment. Most tent companies start as small garage businesses exactly as I am proposing here. You can start with a 20x30 canopy tent ($800 on GetTent.com). Try to find used tables and chairs in your area, or buy new for $15/chair, and buy plastic 60" round tables and 6ft long tables (~$100 and $60ish each, respectively)
  6. practice a few times at home or in a park. Don't show up to your first job with absolutely no clue what youre doing. Unpack your equipment and do a few test runs first. There are tons of "how-to's on youtube from manufacturers and tent guys)
  7. do your first event. Hopefully you can work for a friend or family member first and work out the process. If not, just give someone a sweetheart deal and explain that while you are a new business, you are confident and all of your equipment is in great shape.
  8. get reviews and pics from your first event. Use these photos on Google Business listing and on your website. People want to see decorated tents with people enjoying the party instead of just a sad, lonely tent.
  9. setup and run google ads. Once youre confident that you want to do more rentals, Google Ads is the best way to acquire customers from your area.
  10. as more jobs roll in, you may decide its time to get insurance, incorporate the business. General business liability and a simple LLC should do the trick.
  11. add more inventory. Once things start rolling, you can buy more tents, tables, chairs, lighting, linens, etc.
------------------

*If you dont have a pickup truck you can still offer canopy tents (or pole tents). Years ago I had three college buddies buy tents and they took some of my overflow work. A 20x20, 20x30 or maybe even 20x40 canopy style tent can fit in a sedan. The tent top rolls up to roughly the size of a hockey bag, the poles collapse in half, and then you would need a tarp, stakes, and a sledgehammer. One of my guys did it out of his honda accord. The major caveat here is that if you cant also provide tables and chairs then you will miss out on many / most jobs but tents sell out so quickly that some people will take the tent and figure out tables and chairs on their own. You could also sub-rent the tables and chairs from a local rental business, but thats a pain and could eat some of your profit margins.

Here is a link to these canopy-style tents from my website for more context: https://www.backyardtentrental.com/discount-tent-specials (not promoting, just easiest way to share)

This entire post is really "minimally viable service" or basically this is a absolute bare-minimum approach to entering tent rentals. In reality if you have $8-15k to invest and a pickup truck then we would take a MUCH different approach (different style tents, running google ads from day 1, buying tables, chairs, lights and linens to make full packages).

About me / my credentials:
  • started my tent business at 22, out of a sedan, with 20x20, 20x30 and 20x40 tents.
  • i had worked for a large tent company in HS and college, so I had some experience going into this, but its easy enough to learn.
  • Grew my tent business as a side-job while working in software from 22-30 years old.
  • Went full-time rentals at 30 years old
  • started helping friends and family start their own rental businesses (even got my 60 year old dad into tents as a semi-retirement job...if he can do it, you can do it)
  • My rental business now provides me with over $100k income (income, not revenue) from late April - Nov.
  • I also help others start / grow their own rental businesses across the US and Canada. Believe it or not, I now have 57 clients and they are doing great. I have yet to really have a customer flop. This is not a humble-brag, this is meant to point out the fact that I've seen these businesses work dozens of times, in different markets, with people who have no rental experience.
Resources:

Rental Recipi (my business helping others start event rental businesses, good content there, not soliciting my services)

The Tent Guy on Youtube (this guy is the best... great place for rental business content)

Backyard Tent Rental (my main rental business)

My Wedding Arch (side rental business, niche concept, still awesome and profitable)

Lastly... setting up tents is quasi-physical work and can be risky with wind and underground hazards. Many people decide to start event rental businesses without getting into tents. I've posted a bunch of niche rental concepts in the past, check my post history. Thank you so much guys!

@lovedsecurefree Thanks for the write up. Honestly what would you say about how the market already has enough rentals? I'd like to start something like this but it seems there are a few major companies in my city and they do it well enough to now allow much space for a new person.

@clomar Hey dude, where are you located? My general feedback is there is always room for more suppliers. Here in Boston I have helped launched 6 new small tent businesses all within 50 miles of each other and not only do we not fight over gigs, but there is so much demand that we have a slack group and we share with each other. The gigs are just that abundant.

@clomar I'm sure there are plenty of event rental companies but if we choose the right niché or can simply out compete them on customer acquisition, customer service, price, or some other factor then I'm sure there's plenty of room for one more.

As silly as it sounds I used to compete by offering "free lighting with any tent rental." Lighting was a $33 add-on item that I would just give to people for free. It would take 5 minutes to string the lights and in reality I would just bake it into the price anyway.

This is where niche rental items might work as well. Wedding ceremony rentals for beach and Airbnb weddings? (I actually love this concept and would happily chat w you about it). Nearby Myrtle Beach example - https://www.weddingsinmyrtlebeach.com/

I know it's a huge vacation city, bachelorette parties, etc... Maybe there's another rental angle there. (Cot rentals, Kids cribs, strollers, etc)

@lovedsecurefree How do you figure out contracts? Do you need a different one for each item or do you use a blanket one? So far I've just been using a Google forms terms agreement but I'd like to get something more official.

@tkd That's not my site.

I shared it because it's a really good landing page that people should look at if they're starting out ( and totally borrow from).

- It has a very clear offer.

- The image in the top pane is working really hard and explains what service they offer AND also acts as social proof.

- And there's a tonne of social proof all the way through from google reviews through to their gallery which shows people having fun around their product. It's friendly, professional and sells really hard without appearing to.

And, the site is working.

I know you're trolling but I shared it because it's a really good site with a format that can be applied to any business. So people on here can copy the structure and apply it to their own startup.

@lovedsecurefree I have an additional step that becomes crucial for long-term customer engagement. An effective mobile app.

Typically that’s an issue for smaller single purpose companies. Between the barrier to entry ( cost to build & maintain) and delivering an app that your user will keep on their phone (due to lack of “stickiness”).

Our startup has come up with a solution that is the answer to mobile device marketing. It eliminates the barrier to entry and solves the stickiness in a unique way, while providing a philanthropic community connection & lead generation tool & a customizable mobile app that integrates your business and includes a powerful mobile device marketing platform that allows you to stay connected with your customers and prospects. DM me if you want to learn more!

If this post violates community standards, I apologize. All I ask is to let me know & I will delete my comment. I believe this falls under sweaty adjacent because my platform was designed specifically to help “sweaty startups” & charities.