A step-by-step guide to starting a tent rental business on a shoe-string budget

@effyn Actually I completely disagree that a mobile app is "crucial for long term customer engagement" in a tent rental business. Maybe you should think twice about how your app is actually applicable to situations like this instead of just spamming.

@lovedsecurefree What do you do in winters. For example in Canada Ontario we have lots of snow storms what would you do then? No one will rent tents and we would just burn all the money earned in summer instead of making more

@therich34 Here are my thoughts:

1) what if I just said "nothing."? I'm sure plenty of people would be thrilled with making 100k for 6 months, working 50-60hrs per week with basically 1 day per week off, then doing nothing for 6 months.

2) in reality, what I do is non-tent related rentals. Tables and chairs for Thanksgiving, dance floors for Holiday parties, etc. PLUS I have a rental marketing business that keeps me extremely busy during the off season. Helping new entrepreneurs start and grow their own rental business with website, marketing, consulting, etc.

3) find a winter gig. Plow if you have a truck...

I wrestled with this my first year going full-time rentals... Constantly wondering what I would do in the winter. But to some extent it's the same question as asking teachers what they do in the summer...

My Nov - April is a mix of my marketing business, skiing, occasional rental gigs, preparing for the next season (tent washing, chair cleaning, ordering new inventory, etc) and by mid January the inquiry start rolling in for the spring and summer. I could easily do 6 hours today I've just responding to people's inquiries and booking gigs.

Hope that helps!

@lovedsecurefree My question to yours can’t you rent your chairs and tables to indoor events in winter for example. Someone organizes an event in a community hall they book or in a place where chair or tables are not included. Can you them give your chairs or tables for rent for that indoor event? How much can one make doing this in winter?

@therich34 Yeah of course. In the end you're buying assets. The tents are seasonal, but the tables and chairs can be rented year-round.

Rates vary depending on your market, but I'm between $2 and $5 per chair, 10 to $12 per table, $10 per linen, a small delivery fee... A typical small table and chair gig might be between $250 and $400

@lovedsecurefree I’ve seen a lot of startup guides begin with “Create a Google Business Listing.” I’ve been planning out a sweaty startup and, even with a website, phone number, social media accounts etc. , Google wouldn’t verify my business without showing video proof of business legitimacy. Are others not having this same experience that they can just list a business as they create it?

@mb114901 There is PLENTY that can be done solo. Tables, chairs, dance floor, bounce houses, wedding arches...almost everything but tents can be done solo. Even tents can be solo. I did tents for 10ish years as a solo side gig before it became full-time and I started hiring college guys.

@msconnor I'd rather see you by (2)20x20 tents that you can connect together with a gutter to make a 20x40 or do two separate standalone 20x20 gigs. It's also really tough to rent just the tent. You'd have to have tables and chairs to have it be a compelling offer.

@lovedsecurefree Appreciate the input, I’m going to invest into tables and chairs to make more of a package deal. I’ll update when I move further along with the startup. Also how do you feel about starting a business with a partner? I was planning on doing this with a friend to split cost also he might be able to help better with clientele since his parents already run an established party decorating business