Building the SaaS Bible — what's the #1 article/resource/video that helped you?

clmorgan

Hey guys,

I'm currently building "The Bible Of SaaS" — basically the wiki of this subreddit, but I'm aiming to make it the central place of information on the 7 different stages of SaaS companies:
  1. Planning The SaaS Product
  2. Building & Validating The SaaS Product
  3. Freshly Launched SaaS Company
  4. Showing Traction
  5. Optimising
  6. Scaling
  7. Enterprise
I want to make it as "perennial" as possible, so only putting in information that applies in 2015, 2020 or 2030 — saying no to a lot of stuff, but for the sake of longevity

My question to you is: what are some of the best things you've read/watched/etc on SaaS companies, regardless of the stage it was at?

Link it below — let me know where did you get the most information and maybe even the story behind it (e.g: you were stuck, you read this, it upgraded you)

@clmorgan
  • This big Quora answer by Dan Lewis, CEO of Convoy was really nice for generating startup ideas.
  • This blog by Arvid Kahl, who bootstrapped a SaaS and sold it for a good sum. His content is gold and my go-to place besides his recently launched book (Zero to Sold).
  • This website which has literally all that you would require to become enterprise-ready and go upscale.
  • SaaStr blog by Jason Lemkin.
  • Intercom guides and books.
  • SaaS Pages for examples of different pages on landing, pricing, etc of successful SaaS companies. Also Startup Resources, self descriptive.

@terasee Hey! Thanks for sharing this. A lot of the value you've provided overlaps with what I've already added in the SaaS Bible so far but I'll have a deeper look — thx for linking it!

@clmorgan Scaling: Drift's HYPERGROWTH book on scaling based on a customer-driven model. Thought it did a great job at showing how important it is to maintain a customer-centric business, particularly for SaaS, and helped me think how I can continually incorporate this approach in my day-to-day.

Optimizing: Unbounce's How to Optimize Your SaaS Landing Pages guide. It's an in-depth, actionable ebook that shows how SaaS brands can fix their landing pages and funnel for conversion optimization.

@clmorgan A lot of this is pretty vague so hard to really say what’s missing.

Does “Scaling” mean scaling operations, scaling the marketing and sales efforts, scaling the team. You could write a book on each and still not cover a useful amount of the topic to be considered the Bible of that resource.

@chamberlain94
Does “Scaling” mean scaling operations, scaling the marketing and sales efforts, scaling the team

All. You're at the stage where, the product is validated, you've shown traction and your main aim is to scale your processes.

You could write a book on each and still not cover a useful amount of the topic to be considered the Bible of that resource.

I'm not writing anything. I'm putting together. So if you link all the books that upgraded your business, and I'll add them in (assuming most of the information is as close as it could be to perennial)