Can a gutter cleaning business turn into more than a side hustle?

eaglescout88

I'm curious to hear any thoughts or stories about this. Can I turn a small gutter cleaning side hustle into a large business of some type?

@eaglescout88 Sell gutters, sub it out to someone qualified, make $$$

You can even attach a deal ex: gutter installation comes with a year of free cleaning.

-A roofing company owner

@msjosie Now we're talking. I gotta get and stay out of that cheap mindset. Raise my own value so I don't bat an eye if someone turns down my offer; there will always be more lined up ready to take it.

@colin44 Take this to heart: if you’re winning more than 1/3 to 1/2 of your bids then you’re not charging enough.

Know your product in and out, charge well for your time, put your heart and fucking soul into giving the people who hire you the single best contracting experience they ever have, ask for a review. Rinse and repeat and before long you’ll be so busy you won’t know what to do with yourself.

@msjosie Interesting idea, I was thinking of doing a similar business model although not with gutters. I am guessing the subs would have all the tools and materials required to do the job? How would you find reliable subs that show up on time and do high quality work? Thanks!

@naboo See if there are any local business/executive groups near you for networking. Even if you don't join, sometimes they have visitor days which would be a good opportunity to get your name out there.

@eaglescout88 Maybe, but what about offering gutter repair, gutter installation, gutter covers as options too? Now all of a sudden you have way more options.

Drive time and setup time on a job robs you of billable hours. Get on a job and spend some time there, installing all new gutters and downspouts turns it from 1 hour of work into a day or 2? I've never installed gutters.

Offer gutter cleaning as a core service, but while you're up there, you see things they don't. Learn every thing imaginable about gutters, downspouts, products on the market, average age, when to replace, metal vs plastic, tell me everything.

Get a business bank account, get setup with a company who can offer payment plans. How much per month to redo the gutters on my whole house?