Can a gutter cleaning business turn into more than a side hustle?

@eaglescout88 So then the math question for you to answer is: can you get 60 houses a days, 7 days a week, every single day of the year?

To me, this is a sales and marketing question. Could you find a way to clean the gutters of 25,000 homes every single year?

@eaglescout88 Well, I think you mentioned power washing.. solar panel washing.. lots of these cleaning-type companies have it as a service. I own a home cleaning company and we do exterior windows and I've been asked to clean gutters.

@carllundin You're right, but I think most people don't have a clue and think 3 foot hanging icicles from gutters are cute. I think my neighbor and I are the only ones on our block that take the time. Was just a suggestion, and if nobody wants the service, then OP is no worse off.

@eaglescout88 It can. Problem with that business is it has very low barriers to entry. Anyone with a car and a ladder can get it started.

A lot of immigrants do it as a side hustle. I suspect many don't have adequate (or any) insurance. It can make it difficult to compete as a proper business with employees who will require the right insurance.

@eaglescout88 Seeing your comment of scaling to $5m w/ 500,000 homes to target, you're going to need to expand beyond just gutter cleaning.

Gutter guards are a high margin service (if you price appropriately - pressure washing guys rarely price correctly). Same goes for either subbing out or buying your own gutter forming equipment. There's a reason you see it more as an ancillary service than a specialization.

On my home, my gutters cost me $650 to have cleaned each year. If your bread and butter jobs are $150-$250, you're likely competing on price, which means the lower end of the market. How much time, all in, do you have on a $150-$250 job?

(I consult for approx 70 companies that either specialize in or offer the service.)

@eaglescout88 My buddy Russ Bury has a pretty nice gutter cleaning business and then added junk removal…. he ultimately transitioned out of gutters and went strictly Junk Removal

He has a location in New York and Florida and is doing around 1.5 million.

A plus junk removal. You can google or YouTube him. He’s done a few podcasts and has a little bit of content out there.

@eaglescout88 Yes it’s possible. I worked for a company in large city that started out with the owner cleaning windows part time in college. He ended up growing that business over 30 years and adding services including gutter cleaning, roof cleaning, moss removal and treatment, power washing etc. When I left the company he had roughly 75 employees and was running 10-12 million a year.

@eaglescout88 We have some clients with large gutter businesses (they typically offer some other services as well). Our industry report has some details. 🎉🔨 Just dropping in to share some exciting news! JobNimbus is rolling out their annual roofing benchmarks report (interviewed hundreds of roofing businesses), Peak Performance 2024. It's packed with awesome tips to boost your marketing, sales, cash flow, and tons more. Trust me, you don't want to miss this. Give it a look-see at https://jobnimbus.me/49jkfAf. Let's hit those high notes together! 🚀🏠 Oh and this is FREE.