Cofounder quit - a quick story and lesson learned

@evaline Thanks for sharing this. Feeling bitter and betrayed is normal in fallout. I too experienced this from your position ( aka worked harder + have expert perspective ).
I think you have some wins already. Keep going, add other cofounders in with the new learning.
It’s important to bounce back from this and apply the “lesson” as soon as humanly possible so you won’t lose unnecessary time.
Do process your emotion, bitterness thinking and shift to optimistic, positive and growth thinking because this adds up your odds of success

@shawn158 Thanks, I really appreciate your sentiment. It's tough to continue alone, even with some traction. What did you end up doing after your fallout?

@evaline Help family out, process stuff, Read PG, study Atlman, consume YC library stuff, YT’s Stanford startup school, gym, did Tony Robbin, get coaches for 3 sessions, continue thinking startup, making bunch of shifts in the last 3 months. Talk to bunch of founder.
Read the underdog founders.
Now I’m like 100% healed and wiser, reapplying to series A onwards.
Also yeah join community of entrepreneurs, (Stride) + some internet marketers and investors.
Basically, I did a bunch of things to achieve perspective shift, understood personal values, know what turns me maximally on, read and pursuit my line of curiosity, clarify my North Star and now taking action towards it.
Seeing successes too.
Perspective shift is crucial. It’s worth 80IQ point advantage. Your educational strategy will add up the odd long term.
I would recommend therapy or result coaches if you can afford it.
Get into ambitious community is super helpful. Avoid soloing if u can.
I’ve been through so I know
But also cooking up another venture myself hehe.

@shawn158 Hi, your comment was very helpful.

Could you elaborate with more specifics about these so I could implement them myself:
  1. "get coaches for 3 sessions",
  2. "join community of entrepreneurs, (Stride) + some internet marketers and investors."
  3. "therapy or result coaches"

@connecterz Hey my pleasure. And no problems.
1. Ideally I would have my coach super charge me for years but I pause mine for now because that’s how much I can afford. As soon as I raise, I’ll bring him back in. I believe Garry tan believes in therapy for higher performance. I believe in performance coaching not just therapy. For me the value I get is an external perspective. When I fail, I retreat into seeking certainty instead of embracing uncertainty which is what I need in order to achieve what I want which is hitting a grandslam. The co-founder of Salesforce understood this, he uses performance coaching himself.
2. When you fail and you are alone, you risk looping the same thought, if it’s negative it’s very taxing on you. If you study my approach, I do everything In order to grow, not just one thing or two and I ain’t finished yet. You need to plug yourself in good stream of information, i find this to be where the people who aspire to the same thing as me gathers. I can absorb their thoughts direction and somehow it reveal mine.
3. Therapy heals your hurt, so you aren’t bitter and act out of vengeance. Result coaching turns you into a pro athlete. It focuses on unblocking whatever in-optimal thinking pattern in your head so you can zig zag your way to your zone of performance. Plus your coaching has perspective of other entrepreneur, he knows what works.
so you get very quality advice

@drsuess Hmm, I know Tony has been in the business for a few decades so he has pretty good coaches. They have high standard and will hold you there. They are trained by Navy Seals also. Surprisingly, I have never been offended by them. They give way more than they deliver to me.
So far I would say it account for 10% improvement on me. Pursuing your own interests and taking initiative zigzagging and bouncing backup is 80%, 10% is on luck.
Their product is super helpful for self knowledge.
Those are by and large estimations.
But I certainly can see coaches being in my arsenal long term.
Will optimise for that later, right now, seeing value clearly for myself.
What value you get is smth you need to personally evaluate.

@drsuess Yes. Use his free stuff to get a sense if it would work for you. I used the free stuff for years.
But also know this, coaches are meant to super charge what’s already in you, nothing is better than your own internal drive.

@evaline I definitely agree you should be certain on a co-founder early on before committing. If there are any minor issues/red flags, these tend to only get worse. Particularly, misalignment on company direction, effort and roles (i.e. who's CEO). I co-founded with someone I knew and talked with every couple of weeks in a casual setting. Our casual meetings turned into a startup and we actually made some significant progress (substantial revenue, well-known investors). However, there were always these underlying issues which in the end revealed we were fundamentally misaligned. I do think someone can be a talented, hard worker but put in less effort if working on something that they aren't interested in. Alignment on the direction and who's CEO/CTO is essential. The mindset I have know is that I have to have conviction that 1. this is the thing I want to be working on 2. this is the person I want to be doing it with.

@evaline Unfortunately that’s very common, especially if it is the first time working with the person.
A proper Founders agreement may reduce your headaches in this case.
But as you business grow, you will continue hiring people that won’t perform according to your expectations - that’s part of building a company.

@evaline Many ventures studios hire CEOs or Co-founder and the way they know if that person fits this role (after interviews) is the attitude after 3 months. Many of them quit before this period.

So as you said, if it's not operating smoothly after the first month you will end up failing out....

@evaline Values. You don’t share them.

You can’t change people’s values. You can only work with them.

It’s not correct to assume that your values, your way of working, is objectively correct. It’s perhaps correct for you, and maybe even correct for what it takes to succeed with what you are doing.

Co-founders fall apart when they don’t realize they are having arguments about values, as one unknowingly tries to assert that theirs is the objective truth.

At the end of the day, it’s not about which is better; rather, it has to be one, and the DNA of the company must build itself around that as much ad possible.

So, I’d make the argument less about judging from your presumption that your values, your approach is correct. It’s different, and someone needs to lead.

@evaline Would have appreciated to share the post on your mistakes more than criticism of your co founder to who cannot defend here neither can others validate. So yes, as a standard reaction you would get a voice of sympathy.
That wouldn’t make you any better as much as a self realization and endorsement of your own weaknesses and mistakes.
Just sharing.

Sorry you had to go through that. You ll come back stronger

@evaline sounds like a relationship that didn’t work out and that’s okay… at the end of the day though it doesn’t matter how long you work, isn’t it really about the results?

Back