How do you create product demo videos for your SaaS?

xmountainx

I'd like to create a demo video like Salesforce's demo video or Notion's demo video, but I'm not sure how to. The video basically needs to be a screen recording, but it should also zoom in (and focus) on different parts of the screen at different times in the video.

Have you created similar demo videos for your SaaS? If so, what tools did you use to create the videos?

@xmountainx We hired a company that specializes in making marketing videos. We gave them the raw materials (ie videos and screenshots), script and picked the voice over we liked best.

@sumby We’ve done several. 90 second ones as well as 10 minute ones.

I don’t have the figures, sorry, since our marketing department did that, I came in after to help with content.

@xmountainx We are currently making a video and tested a few different pieces of software along the way, so I think i can offer some helpful info.

We started with QuickTime to screen record, then edit in Final Cut Pro. That was a bit cumbersome, so we decided to try Open Broadcaster Software (OBS). OBS is great in many ways, but the learning curve and difficulty with zooming were challenging, so we fired up an old version of Camtasia we had kicking around.

Camtasia does the trick for us. Super easy all around to use, and the zoom works great. We are currently adding captions, and that process works well.

@xmountainx I'm working on software to make product videos directly from websites in a few clicks.

Still in progress, want to make it super easy to use, but that takes time.

If anyone wants to participate in a very early beta to try it, let me know.

In general, it must be not harder than scroll and zoom to make a perfect video, directly from the website, not screenshots needed.

So, the video result looks like this

How the app works is here

https://www.loom.com/share/a2a04227f7ce4da8994877eb478a6fc0

@ombowstring1 Nice work ! Curious: how do you edit content "live" after flipping the switch ? Are you adding contentEditable = true to the HTML element that was focused on?