How to get into YCombinator?

rezamo

Hey guys,

Me and some friends of mine, we've been working hard for the last weeks building a product and we want to apply to the YCombinator next summer batch.

Being from Portugal it seems something almost impossible so, as we need all the help we can find, does anyone can help us giving us some advice on how to prepare a good application or introducing us to someone who can?

Best regards,

@rezamo Just apply. Look at the form; it is very simple. Put some effort into a good demo video (max 1 minute), which should be very reusable outside of YC. Good luck!

@rezamo I would recommend not putting effort into the demo video. Firstly it's not a demo, it's an intro. And it should feel natural, unrehearsed. So just tell YC what you're building. If you have a co-founder make sure you both talk.

You're answering the question: 'Who are you and what are you building?"

If you have a background in what you're doing (e.g. you're building space elevators and you worked for NASA) say that. If you have customers already, say that. And say how you know your co-founder (e.g. you worked together for 2 years before starting this project).

Another piece of advice is this: If you have a good idea that can be big and you explain it well, you'll probably get an interview. You have to imagine - a bunch of the people applying aren't putting much effort in or have a shitty idea. If you have a good idea that has potential, and a route to execute - you'll probably get an interview.

Getting in to YC isn't based on probability/chance. The problem you're solving and ability to demonstrate the idea and your capability to execute on that idea is what is important.

@james_conor I just thought of an idea.

Would they accept an idea application rather than actual product at this point? Or should I wait until winter batch when I finally have a demo product?

@hi2u_uk Obviously the further along the success curve you are, the more likely you are to be accepted. That said, they have accepted pure ideas before. You’ve got until March 25 so just hustle make as much progress as you can.

They also really like repeat applicants as it lets them seem progress over time. So apply now with measured expectations (still possible though!) and then be ready to apply again for the winter batch.

@rezamo It doesn't matter where you are. YC funds people from anywhere. It helps to speak decent English, but I've met YC company founders who weren't great English speakers.

Build a good demo, if you can. Focus on the core of the thing, not the flash around it. You don't need fancy onboarding, SEO, whatever, for a demo. You need to prove you can build the product you say you're building.

Build a good team. Prove you have the right expertise to solve the problem you're setting out to solve. This doesn't have to be formal education, but some sort of real world interaction with the problem is extremely valuable. The more specialized the industry you're working in, the more important this is. Consumer apps may not need any special knowledge, but robotics, or AI, or manufacturing, or logistics, or medicine, almost certainly do.

Be extremely clear about what you're doing, don't get lost in the weeds when you describe it on the application or in the interview if you get to that stage.

Practice describing your idea (the "elevator pitch") to friends/family/strangers/etc. Someone with no expert knowledge in your field should be able to describe your idea pretty accurately after they get the elevator pitch. If they don't/can't, you've failed and need to simplify or polish the pitch. You don't get a lot of time or attention when applying for Y Combinator, because there are literally thousands of applicants every batch. They have a lot of reviewers, so your application will get seen by several people, but every application is only looked at for a few minutes by each reviewer, at best (and applications that are confusing or vague are ruled out more quickly, since that's a strong signal that the company isn't ready for YC yet).

I really can't stress this enough: If you can't describe your idea clearly in a few words, you almost certainly can't get into YC. You need that pitch for every subsequent stage, so if you can't make the pitch well, you aren't done with the pre-funding work yet. The pitch is how you'll get your first customers, it's how you'll raise further funding, it's how you'll make partnerships, it's how you'll garner interest for an acquisition or an IPO.

One of the biggest weaknesses I've seen from startups is not having a clear idea of what they're building, or not being able to express the idea clearly. You may need to change the idea as you reach new stages, but you always need a clear vision of what you're company is doing right now.

@rezamo I've reviewed dozens of applications for people, and everytime I give the same advice so it probably applies to you to: be more concise (1/3rd of whatever you wrote), be more clear, and use normal conversational language (no buzzwords or domain-specific words). Plus be more confident.

Also, you either need growth (10 % per week for 3 months +) or an amazing team (where you have technical talent to build the product among cofounders). Also perhaps consider whether your idea can grow 1000x

@elika21 I did cut down our many answers to 1/3 of what they used to be, or even less. Still some answers are long. Specifically,
  • the why this idea question (107 words in 3 paragraphs) ;
  • the newness/substitute question (83 words in 2 paragraphs);
  • the insight question (146 words in 3 paragraphs).
Do you think these would stand a chance so YC partners read them? I can put in more effort to cut down more, but it's unlikely to further half these answers, and still convey what I need to say.

@elika21 Thanks nate. I tried, but couldn't cut further. FWIW, I ended up with 110, 85, 137 words for them. In our 19W application, they were 894, 111, 239 words respectively.

In fact, if you open Muse's application, or even Dropbox's application listed as examples, many answers are longer than ours, specifically Muses. So I gave up cutting more.

Back