I built a SaaS in 3 days! An API-First Link Shortener

jessica50

Another one? I know!

You have so many out there but when I look for a URL shortener that I can use to shorten 5000+ links using an API, I couldn't find any that were reasonably priced.

As a software engineer myself, I couldn't understand why Bitly, Short.io and others charge $100+ per month and still don't give you their full suite of features.

URL shorteners is like the "Hello World" of SaaS and surely it can be that expensive to host.

Within 3 days, I was able to build a URL shortener with all the features that the others have and host it on Azure for less than $100 per month.

Features
  • Analytics
  • Unlimited Links
  • Unlimited Clicks
  • UTM Parameters
  • Custom Social Cards
  • Geo Targeting
  • Link Expiration
  • Link Cloaking
  • REST API
  • Webhooks
  • Unlimited Tags
Check it out here and let me know what you think: https://l.linkbird.io/_/ee8sp5

@mimi_oftwo Just means instead of building the software from scratch some people use a starter kit (pre built template) then build on top of it. Helps reduce the time it takes to develop some thing

@jessica50 This seems cool! I’d be a user but because it’s so new, it’d be nice to wait for you to gain some traction first. It would suck if you shut down 5 months from now!

Curious as to how you plan to monetize?

@clewis Fair point, I have other products that I monetized and planning to keep this one free. I'll probably add some additional features like custom domains which could be paid.

@jessica50 I strongly encourage you to quickly add paid features; it would reassure people about your product in general, even for the free tier. People thoughts would go from "If it's free, then I'm the product (or they will ask me money later on, or they will die)" to "if there's a paid level, then people who pay for premium features are running the service".

@jessica50 Even if it’s the hello world of SaaS, you did it better than others !

55$ a month for hosting seems a lot for that kind of project (at the beginning) ? Why not go with a cheaper PaaS ? Is it only for this project or do you host multiple tools on those 55$ ?