I left my bank job to start a painting business 3 Years ago. We just hit $2.5m in sales. Here’s what I wish someone would’ve told me

heyheyheynoname

There’s a lot of you on here who reach out for guidance about leaving your full time job to start your own business. I want to outline a few things that I wish I had known prior to leaving my job that would’ve saved me a ton of headache.

If you don’t know how to cook, the chef owns the restaurant

For the record, I had no clue how to paint aside from working in the summer with my father when I was 12. At that time, all I did was light prep work. Like taping, prepping, and cleaning up trash and brushes at the end of the day.

I bought into the insane idea that I would be able to run my painting business without any real painting knowledge or having to do any painting whatsoever.

It didn’t take long for me to get knocked off my high horse of “collecting checks” when the sub I hired to perform the work decided not to show half way through one of the jobs… This left me in a very vulnerable position. One that no business owner should ever allow themselves to be in.

My advice is to NEVER get into business without knowing how to produce the end result yourself. I spent the next 6 months working along side my workers and building a team. I learned the ins and outs of painting and can now handle any task that would be required of us on any job myself.

If you don’t get the foundation right early, you probably never will

“I’ll set up payroll once we get things running…”

“I’ll set up workers’ comp after we get a few jobs under our belt…”

“I’ll get accountant at some point, just not yet…”

With this mentality, you’re setting yourself up for failure. Not taking care of these things early on will make it way more difficult to implement in the future. The reason many small businesses struggle with this is because at some point they get comfortable. They are making money, they are producing results, and to retract back to these foundational responsibilities scares them.

If you’re starting a business, don’t wait for growth to take place to validate your responsibility to take action on these requirements.

In other words, don’t build your skyscraper on a foundation made of sand.

Delegate & Duplicate, Don’t get attached

The reasons why small business owners are always over-worked is because they have a serious attachment issue. They can’t see themselves letting go of what they’re “good at” in fear that it won’t be done to standard of which it would be done if they were doing it or producing it themselves. This especially holds true in the trades.

Your time is your most valuable asset. You have to learn to let go of all of the day to day responsibilities. You have to learn how to delegate tasks to other people and be OK if they make a mistake or mess up. The sooner you let go of controlling every aspect of your business, the sooner you give it permission to grow. It’s kind of like a dating relationship. If you suffocate it by trying to control every aspect of the other person, that obviously won’t end up well.

The end goal is to duplicate yourself. When you start small, you’re obviously doing a ton of different tasks, but the goal is to delegate and train others to do those tasks the way you do them, this is called duplication and is very important for the success of your business

Hiring and dating are a lot alike

Hiring is by far the most important aspect of any business. I credit a majority of my company’s success due to a strong hiring process that is designed to filter out applicants and funnel in the best possible candidate for our job openings.

The issue for me was, I didn’t start developing a strong process for hiring until about a year in. I kind of did one of those “Hey, do you know anyone that would want to work with us?” Or, did a general post somewhere with no real end goal.

You get out what you put in. If you put out a crappy post with no strong requirements, you’ll get people that have low standards, just like your post.

If you put out a strong post that has strong requirements for the position you are looking for with a detailed plan for entry, a phone interview, an in person interview, a working interview and a background check…well, you’re probably going to get someone that has high standards.

You don’t have to be a major producer to implement this sort of hiring policy, you simply just have to be able to implement it and follow through with it.

Many small businesses especially when starting out hire out of desperation, another relationship analogy, if you date out of desperation, that’s never a good thing.

If you don’t actively convey your vision to your team for your company, they’ll create their own for themselves

Don’t assume that just because you’re paying someone they will be loyal to you. By nature, humans like progress.

What I’ve found in my business is that the more I convey my vision for the company to my team, the greater the morale.

This is not only a collective vision, but individual vision as well for the members of the team. I am always asking them what their life goals are such as purchasing a house, getting a car, etc. and trying my best to help them achieve it.

If I stay engaged with their goals, and encourage them to use the success of the business to help them achieve it, it’s a win win for everyone.

I hope you got something out of these tips! I post a lot about the painting business in r/paintingbusiness. You can also find me on Instagram.com/tradethrive

@heyheyheynoname “This is not only a collective vision, but individual vision as well for the members of the team. I am always asking them what their life goals are such as purchasing a house, getting a car, etc. and trying my best to help them achieve it.

If I stay engaged with their goals, and encourage them to use the success of the business to help them achieve it, it’s a win win for everyone.”

Bingo. This is a BIG thing almost every business on the planet skips out on. Doesn’t matter if your employee wants to do 9-5, m-f for you until they retire, or wants to start their own business eventually and run yours into the ground. You need to be supportive and understanding of their goals in order to fully understand how to operate your own company and the people within it.

@jmullins1227 Absolutely. I learned this by default. Just out of curiosity really. Turned into it motivating me to sell more jobs and to truly help them get their goal.

My project manager just purchased his first home two months ago and his been so appreciative of ever since. His productivity is through the roof. Super cool

@heyheyheynoname This speaks to keeping highly competent employees too. They don’t mind working their asses off and actually enjoy it because such people generally like to 1. Be a part of something bigger than themselves and 2. Set up a stable future. Setting up a culture of taking a ride and coasting builds resentment in smart, competent people who eventually either leave or totally check out because they don’t see how their future is connected with such an aimless company.

Poor leadership who have poor processes that don’t account for employees’ goals professionally and personally are doomed to hemorrhage time and money because they generate their own internal obstacles.

@heyheyheynoname What's the website for your painting business?

Edit: the fact you mention a contracting business making millions of dollars and don't reference it, yet you mention a tech business targeting businesses while using an account solely focused around this tech business leads me to believe you're full of BS. Maybe you have a feel good article here but I think you're a hollow man

@jc7439 imo I recommend to be careful of people giving advice if they can't be honest in the first place. We already know he has a hidden agenda, so be careful wasting your time.

@jtoyota that’s very true but speaking from experience, i worked for a GC who did the exact opposite of the advice here (waited a year for payroll, workers comp, hired in desperation without vetting, etc etc) and ended up filing for bankruptcy after 2 years in business - but due to a mountain of other things too

@heyheyheynoname Any soldier who does not dream of becoming a general is not a good soldier - Napoleon.

The key is to identify this guy from millions of others during the hiring process.

I have a close friend who is pretty senior high up in a multinational company. Chances are you have some of their products in your house. Basically his task is to set up new factories in New regions for the company. I always remembered this is what he told me is the secret of his success: he hire people who are better than him at doing that particular task. Took me years to understand this.

@heyheyheynoname Great write up. Building a strong team that shares your vision is where a lot of people go wrong. Letting them know that they are an important part of the success of the business helps everyone out. Just because you pay them well does not result in loyalty. Hopefully your business will continue to grow!

@heyheyheynoname Hey man if you wouldn't mind, I dabbled in the painting jobs last year with my business but I'm not really passionate about it. But I'm still getting leads hitting me up for painting quotes, some of them pretty decent size. Should I sell my leads? Partner with some painting company? How would that arrangement work? I have a fairly lucrative asset under me if I'm bringing in paying customers, but I'm not sure how to capitalize on it.

@heyheyheynoname Leads through my own businesses website, form submissions. I pressure wash mainly but I get a ton of people lately asking for exterior painting, I just dont want to fulfill it myself honestly. Seems silly to let a $10,000 paint job walk out the door