I work for a D list celebrity

I am employed as a personal assistant to an artist with various business endeavors in mind, including building a hotel, merch, and a coffee table book publication among other things. My primary challenge lies in working with almost no budget to execute these projects. My employer expects me to recruit an intern who would essentially work for free, without providing them a valuable learning experience in exchange.

Everything I have presented to him that was cheaply done he did not like. He also does not know how to lead which I understand is fine for an artist but they don’t even have a manager. There are many personal projects that he wants me to accomplish and gives absolutely no direction. He just wants you to show him something and then he will decide if he likes it. This would be okay if we had a Kim k budget to throw money at the problem but when I say we have nothing I mean nothing. They have me for hours on FB marketplace looking for a size window that doesn’t exist because they won’t pay $400 for the home they want to Airbnb but will pay $500 for a fishing boat charter.

I’m finding myself questioning whether I'm not working hard enough or lacking the optimism needed to tackle these issues.

I have taken chances without his knowledge to hire a professional and everyone I presented those jobs to him he loved them!

@thislittlelightofmine Quit. Either quit or settle.

The reason I say this, is what you are experiencing is quite common for creatives and when you say “artist” I’m not sure if you’re referring to a musician or an artist. I have a feeling from your description it’s a rapper and I have worked in similar situations from a management and consulting standpoint. There’s a natural God complex that shows through and expectations will be through the roof.

Managing expectations is so important and if they don’t have the budget, they have to be creative with what they do. You can find people to fulfill roles that work off of commission but very rarely will they treat it as a serious position and anything other than a hobby.

Back