Looking for help, insight, information, ideas. Pros/Cons

yahu_

Hey everyone I am new here. I am looking for someone/s who has/is running a Mobile Oil Change. I have been thinking of this idea for some time now and there is absolutley no one in my city or surrounding area who does it. The population where I live is approximately 200,000. Any help on website structure, pricing, how to communicate with potential customers etc.. would be greatly appreciated. Also I live in Canada. it would also be helpful to know about tools, van set up, P.O.S software's . Thanks to everyone who participates.

@yahu_ From what I have heard, (down here in the US anyway), there’s little or no profit in oil changes. I know many places just use it to get customers in the door and then they make money on upsells and other services.

@yahu_ Hey, I'm a mobile mechanic, I own a truck and have 2 techs. I think its a great field and I love it, but we don't bother with oil changes. Its just not efficient, you can't compete with a local in and out oil place, they will always be able to out beat you in price, and your hourly will be pretty low. Do you have any other mechanical skills? You could market yourself for just breaks? That would be something you could make hundreds of dollars a day doing if you market yourself right

@yahu_ I agree with the other posters here, although not a mechanic type.

I don’t think there is enough profit here. When I get my oil change. I wanna pay $40, this includes the oil.

My oil changes are so fast, I don’t really feel the need to do it on my day off either. Slightly longer than filling up my gas tank. I’d focus on other mobile mechanic services. Brakes, tune ups etc

@yahu_ I’d check out Go Oil Canada. Mobile oil change company based out of Winnipeg, MB. Might help with your quest. I agree with the others that you would be better of doing a mobile mechanic service and perhaps use oil changes as a foot in the door. Good luck!

@yahu_ Forget mobile oil changes...come to my work, wash in and outside my car, check all the fluids, and change the wipers. I would pay a least $50 plus cost of wipers for a service like that all day long.

@yahu_ No oil changes, but a local company just started doing mobile tire change overs. They put your winters/summers on and off wherever your car is. They are busy beyond belief. People are paying around $25/tire to have this done.

They've lately been going to companies with large parking lots and offering the service in conjunction with the company. They do multiple employee cars all in the same lot, same day.

@yahu_ There's definitely money to be made. I run Kenya's Nippy zippy oil change in Pensacola. And its great money actually... it took me 4000 grand to startup..a trailer, business cards, register wit state, and licenses and all that stuff I use bottles. I get the oil from Walmart but Sam's club has the cheapest synthetic I charge 35$ for convetional.. 13 for oil 3 for filter 5 usually for gas so 14$ every oil change.. it takes me maybe 20 minutes and thats be generous probably 15. You can say you won't do convetional unless you have 2 cars to make it worth the trip. I don't though. I do em all. but thats not really where I make the money. I charge 69.99$ for synthetic and most cars now adays run it. I have 2 fleet and thats all they run and thats where the money maker is. Its slow at first but word of mouth has took me to the moon. I'm on the cusp of hiring someone now