My FFmpeg wrapper for macOS made $8K in 3 months

sarah100

Hey everyone, just wanted to share my success story with CompressX, my FFmpeg wrapper for macOS.

For those who may not be familiar, FFmpeg is a powerful tool for converting, streaming, and recording audio and video content. I created a user-friendly wrapper for macOS that simplifies the process and adds some extra features for users.

I started CompressX as a weekend project to serve my 9-5 jobs, primarily to compress demo videos for uploading to GitLab or sending to my colleagues. It took me 2 weeks to make the first working version. I shared the demo on Twitter and the reaction was extraordinary. People loved it, they said that I was bringing the Pied Piper to life.

Three months later, I hit the $8,000 mark in revenue. I never expected to make a dime from this project, let alone eight thousand dollars. It's been a surreal experience, but it's also been incredibly rewarding.

I put a lot of time and effort into developing this tool, and it's amazing to see it paying off. It's been a great journey so far and I'm excited to see where it takes me next.

@theoden No issue for me. I'm satisfied with it. The setup is easy, the dashboard is user-friendly, and the license management system is effective. And their support is also excellent

@carolcole I think 5% + 50cents is worth for me because Lemon Squeezy is a MoR, and they also have a license management system so I don't have to create my own.

@sarah100 You should definitely register a company for your app.

If you live in the US, there are big tax implications having your app tied to you directly as an individual and you’re probably going to end up paying a much larger chunk of your revenue to Uncle Sam than you need to.

@samuel4christ Handbrake is an amazing tool, people love it. I didn't know about Handbrake when I started CompressX. For compression quality, I think it will be similar between CompressX and Handbrake because FFmpeg was used in both apps. However, I can see that Handbrake has more options which will satisfy pro users. With CompressX, user has a minimalism interface with only the options they need to care about, so that they can spend more time to focus on their work. CompressX also provide advanced feature such as auto compression files in a folder, image compression, gif conversion and deep linking.

@matteus It's simple, you share everything you build in public. For me, when ever I make a change to the app, or fix a bug, or release a new update I share them all on 𝕏. People love it because they know what you're building and the transparency you show to them.

Back