Running 10 MVPs in 2024 the smart way

dmburr01

I set out to experiment and fail fast with 10 business ideas in 2024.

When starting out, I was trying to decide which SaaS idea I should focus on:

→ Larger market?

→ VC or bootstrapped?

→ Selling to executives or middle management?

I was trying for weeks to decide which idea I should focus on.

One morning, I realized that the ideas themselves weren’t that important.

I’ve seen so many funded startups work on a single idea for two years only to have to pivot afterward. The pivot is painful and sad. Then the pivot isn't successful and they shut down.

And I really believe that if they could’ve tried 2,3,5 times more, they would have been successful. But they couldn't get enough reps in.

I wanted to avoid falling in love with ideas and instead judge them based on a pre-defined set of criteria.

But I couldn’t find any framework for researching product ideas and validating them.

So I set out to create one.

Unexpectedly, I found some answers in the VC world.

When I was speaking about this at a family dinner, someone told me to look into Team8.vc

Team8 creates SaaS businesses and doesn't just fund them. And their model of SaaS business validation immediately clicked.

With my partners, I adapted the Team8 VC model for a lean SaaS business.

We focused on ideation and creating a confidence test. How do we find ideas, and how do we know if an idea is any good?

We wanted to ensure our ideas go through a standardized filter to weed out the bad ones.

For example, Fiverr can be a great startup idea. But it’s not a lean SaaS, which is what we want to build.

So, we created the Lean and Mean SaaS Risk calculator to ask:

→ What type of SaaS business are we trying to create?

→ Who is our one target customer? How essential and urgent is the problem for them? Do they even care about what we’re building (Am I right Joe Martin)?

→ What is our solution to their problem? How complex or easy is it to develop? Can we be profitable?

The spreadsheet takes a stand and shows our opinion.

It may not be the best fit if you’re trying to build a VC-backed SaaS business.

But, if you’re trying to have confidence in a lean SaaS operation, it will work- and show you if you’re on the right track.

It works like a street light: You want to get green on as many rows as possible to know you can move forward.

For our first round, we started with 20 ideas. 5 scored the highest, and we are now proceeding with them to the market-fit test.

If you look at our spreadsheet before anything else, you will work on your best ideas. And you’re going to save years of your time.

See the spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...AhghW9965HjJcx_b-IokijZHdJuXX4igd0/edit#gid=0

@dmburr01 What do the color labels signify for the weightage? Is it like this?

Green- Full

Yellow - Half

Orange - Quarter

Red - None

@h2opilot It's more like a street light: Green you're good, Yellow/Orange- Pay attention, Red: Stop you're doing something wrong.

I didn't quantify them but ideally you'd want to get as many greens as possible, if that makes sense. I could add a calculator to score them maybe if that'd be helpful.

@dmburr01 It's great to see that you're approaching this with a structured and analytical mindset, as most successful businesses emerge from solid planning and consistent testing. Your spreadsheet tool seems like a fantastic method to evaluate ideas! A pivot can indeed be tough, and it's smart to anticipate the need for change and prepare for it.

It might help to also integrate a minimal viable product (MVP) into your strategy, since you're looking for a quick and reliable way to test your ideas. An MVP can give you feedback from real users very early on, which might become useful for your lean SaaS operation. By the way, the Tech Incubator I worked with on a startup, Buildmystartupidea dot com, can be a valueable resource for this kind of stuff. They've got a team of successful tech exfounders who effectively aid non-tech entrepreneurs in bringing their visions to life, which I think could significantly streamline your process from ideation to product launch.

Keep those innovative ideas coming, and remember to trust your process! Wishing you all the best with your ventures.