Step by step guide on how to open a pressure washing business - make $2k a week with $2k startup cost

novitativa

Hey all,

This post will be detailing how I got my pressure washing business up and running, and the exact steps I took to do it. Last year, I opened up my first real business focusing on pressure washing. I worked part time on the weekends while working my full-time job. I brought in around $10k from pressure washing my first year, with about $4.5k in expenses (around $5.5k profit). This year, I've been taking a lot of vacation days from work and washing on those days (washing 3-4 times a week) making $2k/week consistently over the past month. Pressure washing is a relatively straight forward and simple business that is a great introduction to getting your hands dirty (or clean if you're a good pressure washer) in owning and operating a business.

1) - Equipment you'll need to purchase (what I started with)
  • $1600~ for equipment -- brand new OR used 4 gpm pressure washer (try to get one with a direct drive pump), surface cleaner (for concrete cleaning), hoses (1 100 ft garden hose, 1 100 ft pressure hose), reels, (2) 5 gallon gas cans, rubber boots for your feet, eye/ear protection and special equipment for house washing (j-rod and downstream injector)
  • $50 for graphic design -- logo, marketing materials -- or just do it yourself for free
  • $0 for website hosting (optional in the beginning)-- I was already hosting a web site for one of my side hustles so I used the $50/yr hosting on there to add my website for free
  • $300 for physical marketing materials -- yard signs - use UZmarketing - then buy H stakes on Amazon.
  • $100 for online marketing materials (optional in the beginning) -- FB ads, google ads.
  • $30-$40/month for Jobber (optional in the beginning, I used Zoho CRM for my first year and it worked fine).
2) - Getting first customers

Start putting your yard signs at busy intersections where people have to stop. Red lights or stop signs are the best, this gives someone a chance to snap a picture of your sign or call you up then and there. Focus on getting your first customers, learning how to communicate and set up jobs. When setting up jobs, don't tell them an exact time, tell them the time range of either between 8 AM to 12 PM or 12 PM to 4 PM (or whatever your business hours are). You'll never exactly be on time, so it's important to give them a time range at least a couple hours apart to give you time for delays. The day of the job, give the client a courtesy text that you'll be doing the cleaning that day.

3) - How to actually wash

Before washing anyone's property, make sure you're insured. You can get temporary insurance at a few places, I use thimble for daily insurance.

Before starting your pressure washer, make sure its hooked up to a water source or the pump will fry in seconds. Watch a few videos on how to start a pressure washer before getting started, and never leave a pressure washer running for more than a minute or so without shooting water out or you'll also fry the pump. If you're ever unsure of how to wash something, don't wash it and ask someone online, Facebook groups are useful for this you can just post a picture on a pressure washing group page and ask someone how to do it. The most common things you'll wash are concrete and vinyl siding. These are both very simple. Concrete you'll use a surface cleaner on at 3000 psi, then rinse any excess dirt off with a pressure tip. House/vinyl washing is a bit more complex, you'll need pool shock (bleach @ 12.5% strength), a surfactant (soap that makes something stick, I use e-lemonator). You'll put some pool shock in a 5 gallon bucket, and mix it with water and a VERY SMALL amount of surfactant (like one cap). Before you spray any chemical mix, water any plants or grass around the area you'll be washing (this protects the plants from dying if any chemical gets on it). Then you'll spray the chemical mix you made on the house with either a downstream injector - this is called down streaming (you'll need a j-rod tip) or an x-jet (all you'll need for this is an x-jet). You'll let it sit for 2-5 minutes, then rinse it off with all water and it'll look nice and sparkly, killing any mold and such.

4)- Establishing the business - insurance, getting paid, going legal, growth potential of the business

Once you've gotten 10 or so customers, and want to continue with the business, it's time to start thinking about the long-term potential of the business. Do you want to free your time from working? Do you just want to be an owner operator? Think about the wants and needs you have for your ideal life. There's nothing wrong with pressure washing on the weekends and just making this a side hustle, you just need to decide what you want out of your business.
  • Insurance- I use thimble for insurance. I believe I pay $150-$200 a month for insurance when I pay monthly, or around $20-$30 when I pay daily.
  • Going legal- If you want to set up a legitimate business, start with an LLC - very simple to setup, and has a lot more protection than a sole propeitorship
  • Pricing- I price everything over the phone. I price concrete by having the customer just sending me pictures of it, and for house washing I get their address, google it, then multiply their homes square footage by 14 cents. So: Home square footage \ .14 = quote price.* Ex: 2200 sq ft * .14 = $308
  • Getting paid- Obviously cash is king, but checks and Zelle work whenever cash doesn't. You can utilize Jobber to set up credit card payments, but 99% of the time my customers pay with cash, check or Zelle.
  • Establishing a minimum- Once you start having work come in, you're going to want to establish a minimum. A minimum is the lowest price your willing to go to a customers house for. Essentially if a customer wants a very small amount of work done, this is your minimum price you quote them at. For example, if someone wanted a small concrete patio done that would take me 20 minutes, they'd be paying my minimum. When I first started, my minimum was $130, this year I jumped it to $150, now with how busy I am my minimum is $200.
  • Growth potential of business- In my opinion, pressure washing is quite hard to scale, and lots of liability to add workers. You need to be in a region of high mold growth that warrants lots of soft washing (house/vinyl washing). I'm personally using pressure washing as a way to jumpstart my lawn care business which has far higher scalability in my area. Personally, my company is LLC'd under a lawn care/landscaping business (I offer those services as well) since that's where I see large scaling opportunity.
Lessons/tips I've learned so far:
  • Don't overwhelm yourself. Get started today, keep it simple, and get out there and start working. Worst thing that happens is you decide this isn't for you and you try something else.
  • Online marketing is extremely competitive, you have to sink in a lot of time figuring out what ads work and what doesn't. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, you'll learn a lot about copy writing and what works for each platform, but not the best for testing out the business model.
  • For service-based businesses, yard signs will bring in a LOT of high-paying work.
  • Don't be afraid to talk to people or market physically, people love a hard-working, polite, customer service-oriented business owner. I've been in neighborhoods where I did 2 jobs and left doing an extra job and quoting 4 other jobs in the $200-$500 area.
  • Join forums and Facebook groups dedicated to pressure washing. This helped me tremendously and I gained a mentor within a few days of being in these places.
Closing remarks:

Just get out there and do it. Starting this business was one of the best life decisions I've ever had, and it's helping me get my start in entrepreneurship. It seems scary, but you will be 100x happier taking action than sitting in your room waiting for something to come to you. Create a high pay for your time today, and consider your financial goals for tomorrow.

@novitativa There is someone in my area who has a trailer with a massive water reservoir (you should have your own water). What he does right though his he has a massive sign on the back of the trailer that says pressure washing with his number in massive font.

Everyone in the neighborhood called him while he was in the first house. He spent the next week hitting everyone else’s house.

A massive sign on your vehicle goes a long way when working.

@samuelp I think most people use the client's water, and the rest use a hydrant. The tanks are usually used as a buffer, not as the only source of water.

There are exceptions of course, but you'll need a very large tank indeed if it's your only source and you're running 4, 5, 8+ gpm...

@christianloyalty Good point! I'm planning on getting a cargo van soon and getting it vehicle wrapped, which I think will help a ton. The only reason why I don't have the huge set-up is because it's too much of a liability - if something breaks, truck gets slammed by an idiot in a U-Haul, etc, it's thousands in equipment lost. While the guy with the trailer is much more professional, my local area doesn't lend itself to scaling very well in pressure washing, so my prices are more accommodating to that aspect as well. You'll laugh but I run my business out of a hatchback, and I've only ever received a snarky comment out of 100+ customers from pressure washing, gutter cleaning and leaf clean up clients.

@christianloyalty I'm just starting up and had this idea as well - I'll have a large water tank in my trailer just screaming for some advertising, in this case it'll mean more Surface area by mounting it lengthwise, which is my plan.

@rakis
getting it vehicle wrapped, which I think will help a ton. The only reason why I don't have the huge set-up is because it's too much of a liability - if something breaks, truck gets slammed by an idiot in a U-Haul, etc, it's thousands in equipment lost. While the guy with the trailer is much more professional, my local area doesn't lend itself to scaling very well in pressure washing, so my prices are more accommodating to that aspect as well. You'll laugh but I run my business out of a hatchback, and I've only ever received a snarky comment out of 100+ customers from pressure washing, gutter cleaning and leaf clean up clients.

10ReplyGive AwardShareReportSaveFollow

so how is the business going? Im thinking of starting one but im only 15

@christianloyalty Yup. That’s what separates the pros from the joes. I will never understand why anyone would hire some bozo off Craigslist rather than a legit insured company with the best equipment just to save a few bucks.

@613jono Damn bud you got downvoted hard. I don't disagree with that take but you still have to try. Your statement fits well when it comes to doing jobs. If you're going to do something do it once but do it right.

@dassahjoy Don’t pay them no mind. Upvotes and downvotes literally mean nothing. Fake internet points. My point still stands. Everyone who downvoted are the people out there doing shoddy work with no insurance, licensing, etc.