The 200-Year Old 15 Minute Routine showed me how to maximize Productivity in a CONSISTENT way

mbmzldt

I’ve struggled with finding consistency in my productivity for the longest time. Over time, I’ve learned that consistency is best found through a simple, well-designed routine. There are very few consistency techniques as effective as the 15 Minute Routine. It’s essentially a 3-step process that basically looks like this:
  1. At the beginning of each day, set a fixed amount of time you can dedicate to your work
  2. Set a goal for your progress in 15 minute increments
  3. If you complete your task ahead of schedule, move on to the next task until your total time runs out.
So often we set huge milestones and large timeframes, when instead a small (15 minute) window can push us work harder and faster. This technique also keeps you driven when you see the progress that you’ve made in that small window. I explain this more in depth here -

Give this a shot and let me know if it changes the game for you…

@mbmzldt If this is working for you, you may want to also check out the Pomodoro Method. I have seen a massive impact in my productivity using it. There are some apps with the method built in that work really well. I’ve been using one called Focus Keeper which I really like.

@217 Great suggestion.

I have an app on my phone called Forest.

Was only $1.99 and it blocks your phone from other apps so you can focus on your task in that increment.

Cool part is it is gameified (spelling?) and when you reach thresholds they plant trees.

@613jono True but I tend to have some bad habits of picking up my phone to check things anyways and you have that unfortunate muscle memory of going to those social media traps like Reddit.

The app knows if you leave it and your tree will die ☠️

@217 Thanks for the recommendation. I have been struggling so bad for so many years. I have to try something different. It seems traditional things don’t work.

@mbmzldt [Serious Question] Out of curiosity, what is it that prevents you (and others who use these techniques, not just OP) from being productive in the first place? Not knowing where to start? Not wanting to get started? Not being able to focus? Other obstacles? What happens to you without this technique?

@posahon11 I've been there and managed to become more productive using Eisenhower's urgent/important principle:

Basically the principle says to split your multiple 'things' into four categories:
1. important and urgent
2. not important but urgent
3. important but not urgent
4. not important and not urgent

and then use this strategy to schedule your activities.

It really worked out for me.

edit: spacing

@artemislogic I feel like your question can be addressed with a formula from Piers Steele.

Motivation = (Expectancy x Value) / (Impulsiveness x Delay) where motivation is the willingness to do work; the opposite of procrastination.

Expectancy is how much you anticipate success, times the value of the reward or how much you enjoy the task. The higher chance of success and the more valuable the reward or your goals enjoyment, the more likely you are to be motivated.

However, this is divided by Impulsiveness (how easily distracted you are) time the Delay before receiving the reward. The more easily distracted you are and the longer the period before the payoff, the less likely you are to engage.

Giving yourself a reward after completing very small steps of a given task increases motivation and value while decreasing your impulsiveness and delay before the reward.

Hope that helps.

@artemislogic I don't do 15 mins but I use the Pomodoro technique from time to time (25 mins). It's not because I become unproductive without Pomodoro but rather I do something or sit in front of the computer for hours. Afterwards, you feel very tired and not productive as time pass.

With Pomodoro, you're very much focused for 25 mins, then it will nudge you to take a break for 5 mins. So you will definitely stand up, maybe drink a glass of water or do some stretching. Then you have a longer break (45 mins). I find it helpful to be more focused and at the end of the day doesn't make me more tired compared to sitting for long hours in front of the computer.

@artemislogic for me, it is the jump start.

i heard this once, imagine a you’re a piece of thing, on a plane of board. the thing will not move until u tilt the board. once you tilt the board you would be surprised how far the thing moves.

ever since i heard this, i knew the one thing i find it hard to find is the ‘tilt’.

but pomodoro is one of the most effective technique for me to find that jump start. i would just youtube “pomodoro with me” and force myself to start whatever

@mbmzldt There's a great book called "Flow" that suggests that were most happy when we focus on tiny progression and being in the moment instead of focusing on our long term goals. Focusing on our long term goals feels overwhelming, but if your goal is just "work for an hour today", it's easy to accomplish.

@mbmzldt For me the mantra of "discipline is doing something even while you don't enjoy it" really helps me more than anything. If i get sick of coding or studying i'll just say that out loud and it gives me a surge of motivation because i know i'll be grateful i did do it at the end of the day