The bar is low my friends

inmatetalks

I recently hired someone for tree trimming and this was my experience with conpanies.

I reached out to 6ish companies for quotes knowing not all would respond.

Person 1 responded quickly and came out when he said he would. He quoted what I thought was a fair price for the job.

Person 2 responded quickly and came when he said he would. He quoted a little lower than they other person. This person was smoking weed (which is illegal in my state and probably a liability for climbing trees lol).

Person 3 said they would arrive at 5 for a quote. No show and text me at 8:30 asking if they could come the next day at 5. No show and texts me at 8 asking if they can come at 5 the next day lol.

The other companies did not reaspond.

TLDR: show up and don't do drugs while giving estimates and you can get the job. I hired person 1 and they did a great job.

@inmatetalks I get a ton of jobs like that. Probably 20% of my google reviews mention that I actually showed up.

Every time I read one, I think "Wow, there's a bunch of lazy-ass businesses out there"

"How did you get the job?"

"I showed up and wasn't stoned or drunk"

@bmh3d People overlap for the next bid to make a quick buck in a lot of cases than just lazy and not showing up.

I had a lead gen site capturing full moving services and booked junk, movers, broker, furniture delivery, etc. It was a lot of hassle with companies as if they said they would do a job for $500 and they got another quote the same day, they would raise it and keep canceling since there was so much work no one cared about reputation.

@bmh3d
"Wow, there's a bunch of lazy-ass businesses out there"

These are "businesses" in the "legally permitted to do this commercial activity" sense but they're almost certainly not actual companies of any description. A lot of service businesses are just "guy in a van" style operations, and a lot of the guys in vans are in business for themselves for a variety of reasons that make them poorly suited to working for actual companies -- persistently late, likes to not show up without warning, drug problems, can't take orders, not a team player, etc.

When you compete for the "local gigs" level of business, yeah, showing up in a decent shirt on time and not drunk is often putting you ahead of the competition.

Back