TV Mounting: $60,000+ Profit/Year. How Can Leverage My Know-How?

h4wk

After helping a friend mount a TV at his house, I realized how easy it was and decided to create a website and run some ads to see if I could get a few clients to make some extra $$ over the weekend.

What was supposed to be a side hustle became my main source of income. I started alone in 2020. Today, these are my numbers:
  • 1,476 Clients
  • 4 Employees
  • 1 Car with ~$2,000 in tools
  • $421,427.96 Revenue
  • $220,125.57 Profit
The great thing about mounting TVs is that it doesn’t take longer than 30 minutes to complete a job, and clients will happily pay $150/$300 to have it done by professionals. Every time I encountered something new — for example, metal studs — I'd tell the client I needed to get the right screws for the job, drive to a home depot and watch YouTube videos to learn what to do and also what to buy. There was never a time when I couldn't find a solution on YouTube.

Besides the time it took to create the website and ads, my only investment was $800 to run the ads on my first month. The business was always profitable and paid for itself from the second month forward. All the tools, employees, and the car were paid with money that was generated mounting TVs.

This business changed my lifestyle. I don't make crazy amounts of money, but I was able to structure the business in a way where I don't work more than 3 hours per week and get paid as any regular full-time job.

The first year, I was mounting TVs myself with a helper, but it got to a point where I was spending too much time on my phone, so I decided to hire a second person. Today, the guy who started with me has his own car, a company card for gas/emergency Home Depot runs, and he is responsible for hiring the help. I pay him $40/h, and he decides how much he wants to pay for the help.

The first year was the best profit because I was actively working on the business. My profit dropped by $20,000 when I decided to focus on admin/sales.

I am providing all of our text communication templates for anyone who wants to start a TV mounting business today (Check comments).

You don't need a website! Follow this order: Craigslist → Bark → Get a Website → Yelp → Google. (I tried Facebook ads, and the return is not great).

---

Now, I'd like some advice on how to leverage my know-how and the tools I've built.

I have:
  • My spreadsheet that grew in complexity with the business.
  • The website that is connected to the spreadsheet and a Trello board.
  • A script that creates all the necessary texts for communication after the client pays the deposit.
  • Ads data from 4 years of profitability.
  • A sales process that converts 60% to 80% of our leads per month.
  • A web app with all the information the field team needs. This app greatly reduces the amount of calls between the TV mounters and I.

@h4wk Run ads on youtube videos that show how to install the tv. People that cant follow the instructions or find it too much work or lack tools. They will see your ad and call you.

@burks_patrick Google ad algorithm (or FB) is probably already doing this automatically. The algorithm has likely found out that these people are the most likely to click on his ads and serves it to them. My guess is that this simple funnel from his ads direct to the consumers that need them is the only reason he is so profitable.

@h4wk "I am providing all of our text communication templates for anyone who wants to start a TV mounting business today (Check comments)."

Comments checked - templates not found.

@prayersneeded2276 [COMPANY-NAME], TV Mounting:

Hi [CLIENT-NAME], here's our availability:
Jan 22nd, between 08 AM - 05 PM
Jan 26th, between 08 AM - 05 PM
Jan 27th, between 08 AM - 05 PM
Do any of those dates suit you?

Quote:
[LIST-OF-ITEMS]
or
[ESTIMATE-LINK]

Let us know in advance if you have Brick/Stone surface.

To confirm your quote, I need a picture or a link to the wall mount you have and a picture of the wall where the TV will be mounted.

There's a charge of $79 to dismount your previous TV.

Connecting all peripheral devices to the TV is included in our service, as long as you have the necessary cables. Setting up devices is NOT included in our service. The cost to set up devices is $99 per device.

Our services to hide the wires:
$49 - Cord Masking (Up to 4ft)
$149 - In-Wall Cord Concealment
$869 - In-Wall Above Fireplace

[COMPANY-NAME], TV Mounting:

We require a $25 deposit to confirm your appointment. The deposit will be deducted from your final invoice. You can check your final quote here:
[LINK]

To confirm your appointment, pay here:
[LINK]

Hi [NAME], your appointment is not yet confirmed. We still have one spot for DATE. If you choose not to pay the deposit today, contact us before paying to confirm if we still have availability.

You'll receive a text confirmation with your invoice and the technician's information. One day prior to the service date you'll receive a 3-hour arrival window. Thank you!

The arrival window is between 8 AM to 5 PM. You'll be contacted by the technician 30 minutes to 1 hour before his arrival.

For your convenience, you will receive a text one day prior to the service date with a 3-hour arrival window.

We also work Saturdays to accommodate clients that can't commit to our schedule on weekdays. Can I confirm your appointment?

Hi [NAME], technicians are on their way to your address. ETA: 9:05 AM.
Can you please, confirm your payment method? We accept Venmo, Cash App, Credit Card, Checks, or Cash. Thank you!

[IF-CHECK] --
Paid to the order of [COMPANY-NAME]. To make it easy, you can ignore the cents from your total. Thank you!

Hi [CLIENT-NAME], [YOU] here with [COMPANY-NAME]. Due to the traffic conditions this morning, your appointment might be delayed by 1 or 2 hours. You'll be contacted 30min to 1h before arrival.

Hi [CLIENT-NAME], [YOU] here with [COMPANY-NAME]. [EMPLOYEE-NAME], the technician, has a flat tire. He is waiting for AAA. This will probably delay your appointment by 1 or 2 hours. I'm sorry about that, if you need to reschedule or cancel the appointment, let me know. Otherwise, you'll be contacted 30min to 1h before arrival.

I'm sorry, our prices are very competitive if compared to companies that offer the same quality of service, customer service, and schedule.

APPOINTMENT CONFIRMED!

[CLIENT-NAME] - [CLIENT-PHONE]
[CLIENT-ADDRESS]
[DATE], [ARRIVAL-TIME]

INVOICE:
[LINK]
Only pay after the service is completed.

There's a charge of $69 to mount TVs on brick surfaces.

If you need to cancel or reschedule, please give us a heads up at least 24 hours prior to [TIME], [DATE]

Hi [CLIENT-NAME], [YOU] here with [COMPANY-NAME].
Due to the weather conditions tomorrow, we are rescheduling your TV Mount Installation for [DATE], [TIME]. Let me know if that works for you.

Hi [CLIENT-NAME], I'm removing you from our client's list so you don't get any other follow-up text. We don't want to be inconvenient.

But if you're still interested in having your TV mounted by our team, please, reach out.

Hi [CLIENT-NAME],

Here is your payment confirmation:
[LINK]

Would you mind taking a minute to share your experience with [COMPANY-NAME]?

We are just starting to build our presence online, and your review would be of great help to us.

Here is the link to our Google Page:
[LINK]

Thank you for your time!

Hi [CLIENT-NAME]. This is a reminder of your TV mount appointment tomorrow, with arrival time between [ARRIVAL-TIME].

We accept Venmo, PayPal, Credit Card, Check or Cash. You can pay the technician directly with your preferred payment method after the service is completed.

If you need to cancel or reschedule, you can do so by replying to this text message. Or call us at least 6 hours before [DATE], [TIME].

To send you a quote, I need a little more information.
1. What's the size of your TV?
2. Is the TV being mounted above a fireplace?
3. Would you like us to provide the wall mount?

Sorry we missed your call. We're available by text or live chat on our website. Or call us between 9 AM to 5 PM.

To check our availability and book your TV mounting appointment, visit:
[LINK]

Thank you!

[COMPANY-NAME], TV Mounting:

Hi [CLIENT-NAME]. We have not received the payment for the service provided on [DATE] at [ADDRESS].

Here is your invoice (due date: [DATE]) for your reference:
[LINK]

Here's your checkout link:
[LINK]

@ruthracheal It sounds better than "we got a same day job that was worth more than yours so we had to delay your appointment" Lol

The excuses that are better received by the clients are flat tires or the car was towed. I don't use the car towed excuse as much because it's more for when the TV installers can't go at all and we need to reschedule. Most of the time it's just a delay so flat tires is the way to go.

@ceciledemarseilles I mean honestly I may be interested in this. I'm in a GIANT metroplex.

Can't afford much up front since I'll have some initial investment, but maybe a profit sharing sort of arrangement up to an agreed upon number.

@ck_49 Not really. I make around $60k profit a year now but the first year I was mounting the TVs myself. Today the business is well structured but to get to this point I was working every day 6 to 10 hours between phone, scheduling, and tv mounting.

Back