Why shouldn’t I own a laundromat?

@sheraymonet While that’s not entirely a bad idea there are barriers to the entry of getting into the business I do know. I’m not going to spend too long going into specifics, but let’s just say that I can’t just walk into it and start up like I can with a laundromat. Yes, it can be a challenge to start something that you’ve never worked with before but I feel like this is one of those industries that can be tackled. There are definitely industries that I would never go into if I didn’t know them first. The restaurant business is a big obvious one for me. I know it taste good, I know it good services, but there’s 50,000 other things that I don’t know. If I threw enough cash at it, I might be able to find a good general manager and someone to head up the kitchen but it would still a huge gamble. I feel like this is one of those businesses that with enough research upfront, especially in terms of the location demographics it’s pretty hard to fail at it if you know what the costs and potential revenue are upfront. People washing their laundry is a lot less fickle than peoples palates for example.

@richardy You can’t just “walk into it and start up” a laundromat and assume you’ll be successful. I assume you got that idea from TikTok videos.

You don’t know anything about the industry, so what are you basing that on? Just a complete guess?

I personally don’t make business decisions based on guesses or gut feelings. I don’t care what the industry is it’s never that easy. You’ll have competitors, cost analysis, unexpected expenses, liability risks, etc.

Do you know how to make your laundromat handicap / ADA accessible? Have you run numbers on the very high utility rates? Do utility rates change significantly winter to summer? Is there seasonality in your customer base? Can you survive the slow times if business drops and utility costs rise? Are there competitors in the area? How do you choose the exact location? Are you throwing darts or do you have extensive knowledge of the local laundromat competitive environment? How do you maximize the useable lifetime of the machines? What does maintenance involve? What kind of liability insurance do you need? How rampant is theft and what do you do to reduce it? If something breaks what do you do and how much does it cost to replace? Do you plan to advertise? What advertising budget is profitable, are there marginal returns? How much do you charge per load? Do you accept credit cards, if so what is involved in that? Do you offer parking - does a parking lot exist? Are you zoned to construct a parking lot?

If it was so easy and guaranteed profitability, everyone in town would own 1,000 laundromat and be billionaires. It’s never that easy. The only thing guaranteed in life is death and taxes, every brick and mortar business has inherent risks and requires knowledge, otherwise you’re throwing darts and hoping you get lucky by winging it. I would not recommend winging a large amount of your net worth on an industry you have no knowledge in.

@sheraymonet I am obviously not a fucking moron. Why would a same human being like myself that has an MBA think that I could just buy something and have it work automagically. Obviously I am doing a lot of research and crunching numbers but I’m here today to find out where the gotchas are beyond what I can look up on the Internet easily. As you are referencing TikTok, I’m sure you’re aware of all of the shit that is on the Internet that is all flowers and sunshine. There are 5 million people out there that will tell you how easy and profitable it is, I’m hear to learn the truth from the real owners. Rental properties is another one with millions of positive posts and few real things showing true numbers.

@liseylis Nope, didn’t make sense based on a lot of the comments people made in this thread. Also stopped into a number of them near me on multiple occasions and just didn’t see the traffic I thought I’d see. Walked into a large one with 50+ machines and would see 2-3 people tops. Based on that the only reason to buy one would be to use it as a front for something. Still would consider a wash/dry/fold only type of establishment as I think that’s where a lot of the laundromat market went. But haven’t had time to think about building that out lately, just been too busy with life.

@richardy Thanks. I appreciate it.

Looking into acquiring small businesses in the near future and have been thinking of WDF, nail salons, laundromats, etc. I don’t need to make a fortune but positive cash flow with someone else managing the business would be great.

Good luck on your journey.

@sheraymonet I appreciate everything you’re saying here, but as a laundromat owner for the past 18 years, I don’t really agree. Certainly for other industries! But laundromats are pretty straight forward. Being smart, business minded, and doing enough research will get anyone there.