Garry's response to the rubric

@trying_to_make_it yes, especially curious on the age factor.

Sure there's lots of lost folks out there looking for a plan b. But we aren't all lost. And for those of us whose life brought us into career, family, etc. service for a spell, I'm still believing there's a pathway to unicorn for the right idea + execution regardless of my age.

(I'm 45 btw)

Garry, can i get an amen? 😂

@suzy999 You can't say it's inaccurate without having overall statistics.

YC has always had outliers e.g. older, solo, no traction. That doesn't make it common.

@wantsgirl I don’t have stats involving those metrics but have looked at over 1000 YC companies with Pioneer Fund so have a good general sense.

Most of those factors (except maybe age) matter to some extent, though they aren’t the most important signals. For example, working for a YC startup likely helps more than working for FAANG.

In general you can boil this down to something self-evident like “YC is more likely to fund founders/companies that exhibit qualities that YC believes increase the odds of success.”

There are also other factors like ability to communicate an exciting vision clearly and concisely that likely matter more than anything listed in that table.

@wantsgirl I don't know why he would deny it. Young, Ivy league, big tech folks with 3 referrals is a pretty good filter. Only a few weirdos online would reject that premise

@trying_to_make_it Stop worrying about what makes YC happy or want your business. That's not what they want.

Start focusing on building a strong, highly scalable unique business. That's what they want.

They don't care if Mary Poppins is your cofounder as long as you are building something you are passionate about and can scale and demonstrate real economic impact.

Don't spend too many cycles guessing the methodology. It distracts you from your purpose.

Actually, if Mary Poppins was your cofounder, that might have some street cred somewhere in there. LOL

@trying_to_make_it I have a friend of mine in M.I.T CS (Who is also from an underrepresented community) who has a co-founder in Harvard CS and they got rejected post interview. I don't even think YC does the whole "We'll accept a talented team if they're willing to pivot" thing anymore. I honestly believe Garry Tan to an extent.

@trying_to_make_it In the real world, it is generally accepted that people who get into the biggest schools and companies are extremely smart, hardworking and talented. Only online do you see some people trying to spin this fact into some type of conspiracy.

Yes, there are some people who learn to hack tests and interview processes, and yes, there are some legacy students at Ivies, but by and large the people in those positions are our best and brightest. The incentive structure of private schools and companies ensures that this stays the case.

@trying_to_make_it honestly if you want to be successful in tech and you don't fit into a few of those boxes what are you doing?

cofounder #2, lives in the bay, 3+ yc alumni referrals, these should be attainable to pretty much everyone who expects to be reasonably successful at startups.

Back