Hardest thing about starting a SaaS

calo

1: Coming up with an idea
  1. Market research
  2. Competitive research
  3. Hacking the SaaS / tech stack
  4. Writing copy for the launch
  5. Other
Personally I think coming up with an idea and writing copy for the launch can be the most frustrating parts. Not necessarily difficult just takes time I’d rather spend hacking.

@calo Coming up with an idea which you truly understand in depth (from your experience or learning from other's experiences) is the hardest part. If you truly understand the problem well, I feel articulating it through a copy is relatively easier. Its when we struggle to understand the problem we are solving is when we struggle to write a good copy

@tini91 Can't agree with this more. Lots of people are looking for problems to solve and not solving a problem they had.

I've built a few solutions now over the past year to help me or my clients with very specific problems and I think they would help other people but they are very specific solutions targeted towards companies with particular pain points.

But I know they have value because I use them myself.

Been a lot of fun and I have learned a lot even with all my experience working with startups for over a decade.

@tini91 Yea the advice is to solve a problem you experience yourself but if you are young the amount of expertise you have to experience problems is low.

@calo Totally agree and thats why its hard. One way to solve for this is to just network with diff kind of people with more experience than you. This can accelerate your understanding about the domains you will not be aware of due to lack of experience

@keoki Nice! I bookmarked the site. I currently have a list of ideas, but if I ever need inspiration, this can be a good resource.

I think you should also allow solution submission, and maybe use something like AI to match solutions to complaints so founders get easy marketing.

@tini91 Yup yup.

However, there definitely is a gray area when it comes to this in terms of ideating and building a product.

Gotta be familiar enough with a problem to build a practical and valuable solution, but also can’t focus on being TOO familiar with a problem as then you’ll never take action.

It’s the fine line you gotta walk …

@calo Personally I don't think it often works out to deliberately try and come up with an idea. The best ideas that are actually worth solving usually come naturally from being an expert in a domain and knowing the hurdles in that domain. Just my opinion.

So in a sense, coming up with an idea is hard because you need to be a domain expert to know the problems of the domain, but the idea itself usually comes to you naturally after having spent some time in the domain.

@calo Thanks for the link, looks like a cool read, will read it now!

Agreed, some people just aren't experts in a domain worth building a SaaS for. Second best option I think is to survey domain experts and get their feedback on which problems are worth solving.

@bigfranck22 Yes I did this recently, called someone up and asked them questions like “what tasks are you repeatedly doing in your business”. Got a solid start point but would definitely need a few more hours of conversation to narrow down the problem.

Thanks for your input

@calo unique business ideas are overrated.

The gap between what founders think users need and what users actually need is unavoidable. So the real breakthrough happens much later when you test your idea with actual users.

What is more, execution beats a brilliant idea every time. You can have the most revolutionary concept, but if you mess up the launch and can't deliver, it's useless.

@calo Test your idea as soon as possible and be ready to pivot based on market feedback.

My agency started as a full-service shop, but we've constantly evolved by watching user demand. We cut dev to focus just on design, then niched into UI/UX for SaaS, then subscription-only, and now productized services - all guided by real feedback along the way.