How can I get people to understand that "Estimate" means, y'know, estimate?

@william67 I would recommend finding a better word than "estimate" or using a different metric for getting a down payment. If you told me that you take 50% up front, then I am going to assume you mean 50% of the price, and you used the word "estimate" wrong or you are covering your butt incase you made a mistake.

@william67
I'm talking about someone who shows up to pick up their piece, with the check already filled out, when I haven't even given them an invoice. And then they seem annoyed when they have to write another check. Like, at what other business would you do that?

do you do check b/c you dont want to deal with credit cards and fees?

you could offer credit card with an extra fee and offer normal cash/check "discount" and then they will not complain b/c there is a perceived "discount"

most places that only take credit card will just store the clients card in the POS so they can just pull it up on their system and charge the balance.

@william67 Maybe stop taking checks and only take credit cards, so they don't come with a check already filled out. I think the act of writing the check makes them feel that they're controlling the price and are genuinely surprised when the find out that they're wrong.

People care less about paying with credit because it "feels" less like money.

@william67 You’re not being fair to your clients. An estimate should be the price unless you have to go over. When you realize you have to go over then you call them and talk about it. If it were me I’d feel like you were gouging me.

Back