How to reason with someone who agrees to an estimate then asks for money off?

@celtish I run a service business and charge hours used. My proposals also have a range, and I come within that range. I dont get the issue you do, but if I did, then my response would be politely "My invoice is well within the estimate range in the proposal, so I will need to charge for the hours used" and leave at that.

It sounds like these customers are just trying to push any button they can to see what the limits are. I would politely not entertain them. That is, dont entertain them in the game they want play. If you dont respond, they might just stop.

Also, I am always advising the customer in ways they can save money, so if they then pushed back more, I would want to remind them that, compared to my competitors, I have made several suggestions in other parts of the contract where they can save money, and in fact I am on their side (to make them feel a touch guilty).

@celtish Do you let customers know you’re the owner? If so stop right away. That’s why they’re asking. In the future change your title and make it seem like you’re a regular working Joe. Then when they ask say “sorry, I get it but the boss man would kill me”

@brennenstuhl I’ve tried that. They just say okay let me talk to your boss. One time I tried to say “boss” will call them back later and someone had the audacity to say okay I will leave a one star review and will take it down once the boss calls me back. I’ve learned a lot about people’s outrageous behavior through owning this business tbh.

@celtish Ugh - reminds me of the time (an employee) worked on this guys RV and the wife asks for a discount. I was in a good mood and gave her $100 off of a $2k repair.

After the job is done, dude calls me up and asks for a veterans discount of $400 more. Ugh, no.

So he sends a $1500 check, when I invoice him for the remainder he canceled the check with his bank because I offended him and told me to find him since he lived in his rv and I stupidly forgot to get the VIN for a lien. (He was so fucking pushy, in a hurry, and in my face when he dropped it off to begin with). So many lessons learned.

@husker Re: cancelled check - So I’ve learned you can send a letter to the bank saying it was a valid check and should be paid and they are required to pay it.

Chase told me this today when I put a stop payment on a check.

@celtish I see above you said this happens very rarely. If you’d rather avoid the hassle, atleast get something in return from it. I never give anything away for free. Work for me.

Job sign in the yard for a month, glowing 5 star google review, recommendation on nextdoor, neighborhood Facebook page or email chain. That sort of thing.

Or start a referral program. Don’t give discounts but pay them cash money upon signing a contract with a referral.

@celtish That is a very bad advice.Training yourself to lie to others is a very bad thing. Having been in business for over 30 years, I've learned some valuable lessons that I'd like to share with you. I am the hospitality/event industry. One reason people end up in sticky situations is because they don't fully grasp the value of the service being offered. It's crucial to qualify clients and focus on selling value over time. Early on, I made the mistake of just trying to make a sale, but I've since changed my approach after several learning experiences. I start all new client conversations by understanding how important my service is to them and ensuring they truly understand what they're buying. Those who listen, and prove that they really want the service and from me ; you will tell-we proceed with; those who don't, I don't bother.This ends up most of the time as waste of time and energy. Additionally, selling packages that include everything needed to achieve desired outcomes is crucial. As the expert, it's essential to understand what is necessary to meet the client's needs. This approach greatly helps when clients compare prices with competitors, as many competitors often hide essential components needed for the desired outcome. When clients approach me after seeking cheaper alternatives, I educate them on the differences. If it's clear they're solely focused on cutting costs, I'm upfront about adjusting expectations accordingly. It's about finding the right fit for both parties."

@brennenstuhl Nah, I think you just need to be confident about how you convey pricing. Everyone knows I own the company and that if I give you an estimate you’re not getting a deal from me. That’s the price based on the time it takes.

@tseleng Yep, that’s what I did flat rate and knowing I was overcharging would throw a few freebies their way (if nothing unforeseen came up) and they were happy. Of course I didn’t get every job bc of price but those usually wanted to pay about half my quote and I’m not going to work for minimum wage. You worked hard to learn the trade and that’s worth something. Best one I heard was my cousin quoted job for $1.00 a minute. Guy wanted a set price. Cousin said “Okay $120” Dude agreed and cuz was finished in a hour, dude was pissed. RIP James