Started a business flushing Tankless Water Heaters and made a few $1,000 in the first month. Here’s how I did it

siege777

It started when I was over at my friend’s house that he bought a few years ago. It is in one of those new fancy schmancy townhome developments that have tripled their home value in the past few years... His house came with all the best home appliances like smart wifi systems, kitchen sink that you can turn off by waving at it and, most importantly, a tankless water heater.

Tankless water heaters are seen as better because they last longer, use less electricity and you can have on-demand hot water every second. The downsides are that they are 3x more expensive than the traditional big tanks people usually have in their basements, and they need to be maintained every 12 months. Little particulates from the water can get coated on the inside and damage or clog it.

I was talking with my friend, and he was telling me about how he had to go and buy a bunch of tools to clean his tankless water heater. After he watched a few videos, it was a pretty simple process, and it would be a pretty simple business. People need to have their heaters flushed, and they need to pay about $75-$100 in materials to do it themselves... so they would probably pay $100 to have someone else come do it, right?

He is busy running a thriving concrete table business on Etsy (called Crete and Steel, look it up) and wouldn’t have time for it, so he handed it over to me. Here’s how I made $500 in the first week.

Researched a good name that would have good SEO or at least got the simple message across. I went with Flush My Tankless— pretty straightforward, nothing fancy.

I searched around for a little bit to see if it was being used on the internet. Got a free Google Gmail account.

Went over to NameCheap and bought a domain for $12. Got the 2 month free trial for the professional email which would be $3 a month.

Did a bunch of research on what would be the best landing page and was shocked to see that so many of them have exorbitant monthly subscriptions. I ended up going with Namecheap’s “Stellar” web hosting with access to cPanel with its web builder ($3 a month). The web builder is a pretty great no code solution for $3, definitely cheaper if you code yourself, but I was going for rapid testing.

Signed up for a few tracking analytics to see traffic; Google Analytics, Google My Business, and Hotjar.

I next needed a way for people to schedule me to come to their house for an appointment. I originally was going to go with Calendly but was very pleased when I found the Square has a free appointment software when you only have one user. I struggled with a few things getting it set up, but they have very helpful customer service (only calls, no chat) and I figured things out.

Now, awareness. I probably could have gone with Facebook ads or Google or some paid internet method, but I decided to go the old fashion way and make some flyers. I used Canva to design up some flyers and throw on a QR code and came up with a simple flyer. I’m no designer, but after some fiddling, I was pretty happy with it. Also used my Google Voice number on the flyer, so I was a little more anonymous.

I got them printed at PrintRunner because they had the best prices, $0.02 a flyer. I ordered 2000 for about $45. Did not have the best shipping time, though. I also ordered 200 at $0.13 each from FedEx with next day printing for about $20. I know, I know. It doesn’t makes sense to but 200 for half the price of 2000 but I wasn’t trying to wait a week to get started.

All this time, I watched a bunch of Youtube videos of actual plumbers teaching you how to do it. I would have had to have bought the necessary tools to do the flushing and that would have been about $75 but my friend let me borrow his. I did also have to buy a 5 gallon bucket ($5), a wrench ($7), double-sided tape (for flyers) ($2.50), and a gallon of white vinegar ($2.67).

So now I was ready to offer the Tankless Water Heater Flushing as a service (TWHFaaS). Up until this point I spent maybe a day or two of research and tech building and spent $97.17.

My wife and I did a bit of research and cold calling housing developments asking if their homes had tankless water heaters installed and made a list of neighborhoods.

On a Saturday afternoon, we went out for an hour and handed out 250 flyers. Not going to lie, I did not like it. Every other house has a Ring doorbell now and I knew some people would just hate that I am walking up to their door. But it’s the Hustle. You have to push through it.

We went home and I twiddled my thumbs for a few hours and then I got a phone call! Not through the sign up link I labored on... but I’ll take it! It was an old man and we scheduled a time for me to come on Monday!

The beauty of tankless water heater flushing is that it is incredibly easy. You set up the flushing (takes about 10 minutes) let it run for an hour at which point I can go out into my car and work on other things. Then come back and take it all down (5 minutes). So, $100 for about 15 minutes of work and the only expense of ($3) vinegar and the cost of marketing.

My wife and I went out a few days later and posted up flyers again for about 2.5 hours, about 400 flyers. Quickly got 4 more appointments.

Convinced my cousins to come post up more flyers and in return I buy them lunch. 6 people, 750 flyers per hour for 3 hours. More appointments flooded in.

So now I am averaging about 3-4 appointments a day. I am now posting on Craigslist and FB groups to find more people to hand out flyers. I’m thinking paying $0.10 a flyer, so about $12.50 an hour? So far no bites. But it is all a numbers game.

I get a consistent 1% return from flyers. So, 20 appointments ($2000) for every batch of 2000 flyers ($50). I’m now looking to expand more flyer posters and maybe even hire someone out at $40-50 per appointment to keep going. My area has unlimited new developments so I wont run out for a while. If I do, I have everyone’s information and I’ll just wait 12 months from now to offer a flushing again!

Hope this helps someone out there. All the information and ideas are out there, you just have to work for them a little bit. These gurus out here are trying to profit off of people’s insecurity and feelings of inadequacy. I am just a normal guy and I made this work and you can make your thing work, too.

@siege777 Great info! I bought a pump and did this on my own tankless a few months ago and it makes a huge difference. I think only thing missing on this would be to get a general liability insurance policy started to CYA.

@duvved I’m curious if there is any requirement to be a licensed plumber to do this sort of work. I know in my state you can work on your own system but things like this are regulated by the state board of plumbing. I’m not saying don’t do it, I think it’s an awesome idea but you don’t want to get jammed up by the state. Or at least make that money till they find out and send you a cease and desist.

@janet200 I had some discussions with my local government and I was given the go ahead. The work is categorized under a “cleaning” work and not a “plumbing.” It is a DIY task. That being said, I did still buy insurance.

@siege777 another point to look at is real estate ads in your area. they will tell if there are tankless waterheaters as well.

and maybe consider a magnet or sticker to put on the heater so that if ownership of the house changes hands they know who to call. maybe with a punchable edge so they know what month of the year their re-cleaning is due.

@siege777 Better yet this is effectively a subscription service. That is to say it's a maintenance thing that these exact same people are going to need every single year. So your marketing over time goes to zero if you can get people to re-up via email.

I would be offering people $10 off if they subscribe to your email service or something. Over a couple of years you'd basically have a full-time schedule on existing customers.

And how you get really wealthy is then you continue to grow and higher account managers that basically manage a territory. And then you manage your managers from the beach in the Bahamas...

@ducky123
Better yet this is effectively a subscription service

Brilliant!

Straight up assume they want you back in a year. Make it part of t HH e messaging / interaction. "I can book you for next august right now... And give you a 10% repeat customer discount. Should Monday still work? Don't worry, we'll finalize when I give you a reminder call next July. Call if you need anything in the meantime!"

Works wonders and looks high-touch / high-quality service - and makes it clear that you're not fly by night.

@ducky123 I have also been looking into expanding my service offering into other yearly maintenance tasks and offering discounts for multiple services.

Wouldn’t mind running things from the Bahamas….

@siege777 First of all, well done! Sounds like you’ve made a lot more than $1000 in the month though.
I’d recommend not hitting new developments every time, go back and do the ones you’ve already done. There’s 99% of people there who are aware of your service, but didn’t book in a job. They’re far more likely to convert than someone receiving a flyer for the first time. Ive always believed that if you have 3000 flyers, you should hit the same 1000 homes 3 times rather than 3000 homes once.

Keep us updated!

@lbrox That is a really good point. I was subconsciously thinking that once I hit a community then they are striked from the list. But hitting them again would be really beneficial.

@siege777 So did people end up booking you through the site or were they calling you for pricing and scheduling.

Do you have a chat function in your site ?

How many of your sales came from the flyers and how many from facebook groups and craigslist ?

@christina198585 It’s about 90:10 people who book through the site vs calling.

I have a Chat function through Tidio. It’s freemium and it sends chats straight to my phone so I can chat in real time. I don’t get too many people chatting so it’s not overwhelming.

Flyers have been great but I have since added google ads that have brought in a few. I haven’t had great success from fb groups. I tried for a while to pay customers to post on their private neighborhood groups but not so much return on that.