Update: How I make $250-400 a day sharpening knives

keenmaster486

About me: Currently 20 years old, full-time college student studying Accounting

What I do:

I operate a knife and garden tool sharpening service in my town out of my parents' garage. I pick up kitchen knives, scissors, loopers, etc from residential homes (and a few restaurants), sharpen them, and return them in under 2-3 hours.

Why knife sharpening:

I realized that only one or two stores in my town sharpen knives and the reviews are pretty bad for both. Everyone and their mother has knives and few people sharpen them at all and if they do, they're pretty bad at it. There are some mail-order companies out there (like knifeaid.com) but they take 7-14 days to come back. I get them back in 2 hours.

Reviews

The reviews I've received are the key to growing the business. Every review I get is worth gold compared to any ads I run. You can read some of them here:
Though I obviously get the knives sharp, I realized that customer service is far, far more important. I use HouseCall Pro as my CRM and communicate with the customer constantly throughout the process. This is critical in building trust. I always show up exactly on time and try to build as much of a relationship as possible with the customer.

Pricing

I've changed my price from $1/inch to $6 flat rate per knife and $6-8 for tools. Most orders run between $30 and $100. Everyone thinks the price is very reasonable. Probably will raise my prices even more soon.

Revenue

I only sharpen when I'm home from college. Winter Beak 2020 I made $5,500 profit in 3 weeks. Tbh I keep pretty bad records but I've calculated I make $40-$80/ hour depending on the customer and how bad their knives are. On the days that I'm sharpening from 10-5 I usually make $250-$400.

Expenses:

Actual operating expenses are almost negligible. My sharpening system costs $200 on Amazon (Ken Onion Worksharp with the $80 upgrade). If I'm sharpening full time, I buy a new set of belts every few weeks for $15. A set of belts can easily bring $400-$500 in revenue. I only sharpen in a 3-mile radius from my home so gas is pretty cheap.

Advertising:

At first, I was getting 90% of my business on Nextdoor, but now my Google My Business listing brings in the majority of leads. I ask each customer to write a review, which creates a snowball effect. For those unaware, Nextdoor is a social media app designed for neighborhoods. You only see posts from a ~4 mile radius. I found if customers essentially did the advertising for me, I saved money and got far more leads.

Facebook ads have been ok but the quality of leads is far lower since these people aren't actively looking for a sharpening service and require more persuasion.

I now sharpen at my local farmer's market but I've been having trouble turning those leads into customers. I hand out probably 30 cards per Saturday but only get 1-2 appointments from that.

What's next:

I plan on doing this full-time once I graduate. The goal is to start focusing on commercial customers like restaurants, florists, landscapers, etc. I have an employee now part-time so that's been an educational experience in leadership and training.

Books and Podcasts

I credit a lot of my success to the audiobooks and podcasts I listen to while I sharpen. Here are my favorites:
  • Sweaty Startup Podcast (Nick Huber has honestly changed my life)
  • Home Service Millionaire Podcast
  • The E Myth
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People
  • 48 Laws of Power
  • Never Split the Difference
  • The Practicing Stoic
  • Extreme Ownership
  • The Go Giver
  • Deep Work
  • The Laws of Human Nature
You can visit my website here: samedaysharpening.com

I'd love advice and to answer any questions!

@keenmaster486 Simple business that solves a simple problem in an expedient timeframe. Low cost on your end, great cash flow, what’s not to like! Not labor intensive and aside from making a few trips per day/week, it seems like an awesome setup!

@keenmaster486 Write down your exact process, make internal how-to videos with the intention to teach. Get everything in a handy digital training guide. Start franchising.

That is where the scalability and real $$$ will start. It is easy enough where it can be taught to almost anyone. And you could have other people do it part time that want to be part of franchise. And they would get paid per job/gig once the customer accepts and also put something in contract that once reviews drop under let's say 4.0 for the franchisee, they get dropped (to make sure your company name stays reputable).

Huge potential.

@steve109 Scaling is easier than it sounds or feels like. Basic structure and just setting rules and not moving away from them (unless they hinder you) feels tough because you have to 'lay down the law'.

But once a standard is in place and it works - don't fix what's not broken. Also there are franchise consultants out there that help you setting up franchises, standard contracts, etc.

Just googling 'franchise consulting company' gives over 34 million results, lol.

@kayla0612 Thanks. I know exactly thats where I need to go. All the books I read talk about Standard Operating Procedures constatnly. The key is just actually getting around to doing it lol. I hadn't thought about the franchising like that. That's really smart

@keenmaster486 I've recently been tasked doing them within the company I work for as new Operations Manager. Let me know if you want any help editing, writing out, etc.

I wouldn't mind based on video, bullet point lists, etc. for free. I enjoy bringing order to chaos, lol.

Also partially because I never get to use much of my certified technical writer expertise I suppose. Was stuck before more in business analysis than anything else, really enjoying being Ops manager and getting more into the technical stuff again.

@kayla0612 I’m curious what your certified technical writer expertise entails and where you got it? Bringing order to chaos is not my strong suit and I’m always looking for ways to learn more since this is the area that needs the most work, for me.

@mooky0909 Technically it's equal to a completed apprenticeship, back in Germany it was part of my curriculum and I was allowed to take the technical writer exam while in school.

It entailed actually writing manuals/instructions, simplifying complex technical terms for the layman, importance of common colors & signage, etc. (I.e. make warning labels red or yellow; green for positive or 'good to go' stuff, etc. Etc.).

@kayla0612 Not trying to discredit OP in any way but there are several national franchises that already do this, some of which with an even better model in my opinion. Some have vans that they sharpen your knives on the spot and are done in 15 minutes. Others provide you with the knives you want and they have a duplicate set at their shop. Once a week they deliver sharp knives and pick up your dull ones.

@skyrover Yea that's true. I 100% know that there a lot of businesses out there that do what I do. The thing is that a lot of those are strictly for restaurants. Residential folks don't really have any options for quick turnaround services. Plus knives are as common as toothbrushes. Every single person has a couple.

@skyrover This is the point of sweaty startup and the best lesson I learned from r/EntrepreneurRideAlong .

Saturation in a job market is proof of demand, not a reason to run.

My family started a business by trying to carve out a niche and it cost a crap load of capital, high risk of damage to the equipment (rental company) and a million expensive headaches.

Imo better to position your business with the potential to break something of the customer's rather than the other way around. It's smart business-wise and can almost always be "made right'.

Starting a small service business, lawns, painting, pressure washing, or any of the others can be lucrative because it is easier to beat the average competition who lack common sense, customer service, decorum or attention to detail.

Don't reinvent the wheel, just be enjoyable to work with and charge a premium for that or they can feel free to get a discount from methhead Willy

@emyrs Here's a sneak peek of /r/EntrepreneurRideAlong using the top posts of the year!

#1: I bought a failing business at the beginning of a pandemic, this is how I did it and how it’s going part 1 out of 3

#2: $0 to $1 million in 12 months starting with nothing - Update - (Month 6)

#3: I raised $4.4M in funding, had more than 500k users & $1M+ in revenue but the company still failed. Some lessons from a first-time CEO.

[sup][sup]I'm[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]a[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]bot,[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]beep[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]boop[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Downvote[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]to[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]remove[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Contact[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Info[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Opt-out[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Source[/sup][/sup]

@emyrs I never said there wasn’t enough demand, I said his business model sucks and isn’t competitive in the current landscape of that market. I own a pizza place, I know about market saturation lol.

Back