Update: How I make $250-400 a day sharpening knives

@keenmaster486 Actually interesting idea...this is the type of content we need. No offense to all the power washing posts lol 😂

Do you wear any protective gear?
What would you suggest for someone interested in starting this, is it hard to get into ? Do I need specific knowledge that would be useful?

@johnlxyz Yea the blade grinder is the best investment I made recently. The original version has a few problems like scratching the side of the blade and that the belt goes in opposite directions on each side of the blade. You just have so much more control with the blade grinder.

@keenmaster486 Thanks! I’ve made knifes as a hobby for a while now. I talk to so many people who are clueless about sharpening. I think you’re on to something here. Good luck to you!

@mb_c Not OP, but the learning curve isn’t bad at all.

This is a skill you can learn at home and many people do sharpen their own knives. People just choose not to because they don’t want to bother. But it’s not a complicated thing to learn at all, and self-sharpening used to be a more common skill when people used straight razors and such.

@mb_c I literally just taught myself and learned more through trial and error (and I've never actually ruined a knife). Literally so easy to learn if you have a good system that takes the human error out of the equation.

@keenmaster486 Nice work.

The laws of human nature is one of my fav books but you're the only Internet person I've ever seen mention it. Respec'

If youre in to audiobooks definitely don't look at audiobookbay.nl because that would be ILLEGAL and you might go to jail for downloading hundreds of audiobooks for free

@hassahm He said that he only does it when he's home from college so he probably doesn't have a dedicated vehicle like a van with a workshop in the back. I guess those who do it for a living might be able to offer that as part of their service, especially for commercial customers who need their tools back asap.

@thegreatgospel Right I hear ya. Something to consider when going full time. I was just thinking it might be more efficient to make 1 trip rather than 2. Might be able to expand service area as well since there’s no need to return home. From the customer perspective it also might be considered more valuable to only coordinate one “interaction” rather than both a pick up and drop off? Just spit balling.

@hassahm My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't buy a mobile workshop until I was fully committed and already built up a decent customer base. But where I live parking is a premium as I live close to a major city, so you would still have to pick up and drop off later which I'm sure the customers would understand. I looked up knife sharpening services in my area and there are a number of businesses who already offer same day service with good ratings. So I'm not sure if it would be worth pursuing here unless you could offer the fastest return time possibly as you don't want to go too low on price.

@keenmaster486 Congratulations! You've got an amazing website - very professional and love the header video, really enjoyed going through it AND no spelling/grammar errors anywhere! You also got the site icon (so many people miss that). And a matching shirt!

Back