What’s the likelihood you’d get a response?

justbadcode

Assuming you go out and leave comments in the hopes that they’d response and “connect” to you in LinkedIn. What are your odds, how long do you guys do it for until you move on? Is it some cold email one and done or after 3 days comment again?

(This is assuming your comment isn’t something that’s “highly informative” but something that has some substance in it)

@dsx I mean I guess so, I would be dead by then. If I was immortal then no since I could wait it out. But I'm not so sure if this is even the right move, since the people I'm trying to connect to their first language isn't even English. So there might be a language barrier but I don't know anyway to ask them or get in to this market without asking the people in linkedin so I'm just hoping they reply, but in the off-chance thy don't then does that mean just screwed and just move on? (think of it as a failed idea?)

@justbadcode Exactly . 3 days sounds arbitrary . What’s the waiting period really based on ? If the value doesn’t connect just remessage whenever you feel ready again .

I think you really have to provoke something within them if you want a response . You gotta give the msg somehow !

@chirho77 Do you think at a certain point they must just ignore you or chuck you up as that one annoying guy. Is there some point in which you have to say like maybe a month and if no response then you just stop? (So likely 10 tries since 31 days) But then you could also state maybe your message isn't great enough to merit a response from them or maybe you just didn't build enough rapport and asked to fast to quick?

@justbadcode I think at that point , it comes from you and sales .
Believing the product you want them to buy can genuinely help them , so any persistent messaging is irrelevant because it can help .
If they don’t get it , then go to someone who does .
Your messaging can be based on how willing you are to help them and how receptive they are to it .

Imagine there’s a pool of people . Some are holding their hands out to reach for someone to help them . They need help . Some will be helped . Some will continue raising their hand for help .

Now you as a “seller” are offering a product or service . You’re extending your hand so as to help anyone you can .

You’re holding your hand out for someone to grab , if they don’t grab , you don’t hunt them down to force them to grab it , instead you just drift in the pool until 🤝

Kinda silly but it helps me understand lol . Hope you get something from this

@chirho77 But what happens if I'm asking for their intellectual property would the same thing apply or would I need to put more time in rapport first since I feel like if I ask for the IP and I get shot down asking for it the second time might be rough. Or at least I have the impression it would be rough

@justbadcode Hm , i would have to know more about your business to give you a more tailored response , but if you randomly asked me for my IP , i would want to know what you’re doing with it ?

And moreso , i would want you to lead with what you’re doing it firsthand before asking for my IP . Like the positives

Yeah it’s gonna be rough but not impossible asking for IP , because it’s kind of personal . Once you gain their clearance they’ll grant you access

@chirho77 So I at first I thought of asking the author straight up for the IP in which they sadly can't as it turns out once the company publishes their work as an "original" they lose their distribution rights. So which lead me into hoping I'd go and ask some people in linkedin who are IP managers for that company or someone close to that. (Someone said to go and ask IP lawyers but it was expensive like $10k for them to ask no guarantee if you'd get a response and an addition if you want a written contract)

I would want to make merchandise for your IP in particular figurines. I think when you look at the market it's all japanese figurines it doesn't have manhwa or manhua figurines (Chinese & korean) so I would really love to create figurines for this particular series. If you don't mind we would also want to invite the author if he'd be willing to give sometime on his weekly schedule for a couple hours just to talk about the series on our podcast. If not we could revisit the podcast idea once the series finishes its 1st season and takes a break.

@justbadcode Ah okay so I get you . You want to make figurines based on a particular company or brand .

So targeting those with distribution rights seems to make sense .

I’d say ;

If they respond , that’s great .

If not , you can follow up conveying more value or value in different settings . Trying to hook them .

There’s really no limit . It depends on your style .
If you don’t want to be known as that annoying guy , keep your messages minimal , and move on quickly .
If you don’t care , you can be more persistent with one prospective buyer .

@chirho77 How much is too many and is there a cut off point? (I'm guessing, it's still every 3 days but should I quit after a month) I kinda hesitant on moving quickly part as if they are in the same company wouldn't word get around that there's this dude looking for IP

@justbadcode I think if it gets the job done , then there’s no “ too many “ or “ cut off point “ .

Things can happen even when you don’t expect them .

I mean what we’re talking about is sales . If you want , you can work on your marketing and brand , building your company representation .

But when it comes to sales , I think you’ll need a certain mindset to convince others .

@angel7242 I retry typically after 3 days, but my work is that they might just see my comment and don't reply. (Like I'm not hoping a reply or anything in the first few times I leave a comment in their article) But I hope when I ask for the connect they'd at least reply. (And not go, who's the person better block or not reply)

@justbadcode The key is when they're online and soon after you've seen them posting or commenting. Waiting is the worst strategy. Strike while the iron is hot and you've hopefully got front of mind. Even if they don't reply, they might next time you engage. Be memorable in the comments. The other hack I like is sharing their article with a. Good summary and tagging them .

@laquacc I forgot to add that I'm like a teen, so I don't really have any people and my linkedin account is super new I have those "linkedin members" since I'm not connected to people. I think I can do the 1st like waiting for them to go online. But I'm not sure about the 2nd one since sharing the article when I got no one since it's basically a new account with nobody following it would do any good or would that be fine? (What do you think?)

@laquacc How long should I give it before I use my connect? (I'm using a free linkedin account) so I don't have endless connects. Should I leave some thoughtful comments while sharing for a month then ask for the connect?

@laquacc I'd want to make merchandise for them. I contacted the author only for the author to tell me they gave the right away the moment the company distributes their work hence they can't green light me. Which leave me to contacting the big distributor company in the hopes that I could make merchandise for them. While I did my research and all, I have manufacturers lined up. I feel like the fact that I'm new to linkedin and I don't really know much about it since I've focused roughly around 6 months in making sure there's demand on the product I want to sell and I have a good manufacturer in place. Not to mention I'm just a teenager it feels like things might fall through, since the only thing I missing is an IP to make merchandise. Also people typically state on how cold emails should be short I can't explain all of the things I've done to the linkedin IP manager in detail since they might not read it.

Back