I feel like closing business because all the terrible clients

adifferenttruth

We have a small business offering service. Service to top 5% richest people. I think I took on too many clients at once (my fault) thinking the service providing them will be short term but for all happened to be longer than I thought.

All these clients must be A type personalities with a freaking ADD. They comment on every and each detail, they change their mind 1000 times a day (not sure how they can handle business but somehow they are in the tops), after finally making their mind, the result they agreed on now they don’t like it, we fix it, now they are looking for completely different solution and it goes on and on.

At this point my heart beats high, I feel like I am going to have heart attack. Working with these people really frustrates me and stress me. I am under a lot of stress, pressure and getting to a point where these A types starts to manage me.

I guess I am not looking for any judgement at this point but I wonder how do you handle that the most annoying, and judgy people don’t get under your skin?

I guess I have troubles separating business from personal. I take my work very seriously and so it is kinda personal. At this point I am also not ready for questions type of what’s up with my boundaries as it’s no longer relevant. My batteries are depleted and I am closer to burn out every day.

I appreciate any help and of course condolences please. I know this is Reddit but please don’t be harsh on me

ADDITION: thanks everyone for commenting and suggestions! Very helpful . I also want to share these books that were reccomended by some of you for handling clients/marketing/expectations better and hope it may help l someone else too: 1. Never split the difference. 2. Built to sell. 3. no Bs marketing to the affluent. I am going to dive into it!

@adifferenttruth I think you could save yourself and the business. You have to set boundaries. If they want changes, they will pay. Don't think them changing their minds every .5 seconds means failure. You are in business to service them so, do that. Annoying and judgy? So are poor clients.

@clusium My dad was a carpenter who specialized in kitchen and bathroom remodels. Customers of all types change their mind on their design and things they want all the time. Something my dad became good at was becoming enough of an expert to talk customers out of certain things. By doing a lot of discovery up front he also knew what was most important to them so they don't get hung up on little things throughout the process. You have an expertise and need to be able to guide the customers to what is best for them, which may be different than what they want. It's a learned skill but I think setting boundaries with the client and holding them to the boundaries is a good place to start. But yeah, also charge out the wazoo as changes make things go longer.

@snoopylover There is nothing wrong with them changing their mind.

Just try to adapt and change the price as well, lol.

See if they continue with their BS, because price can always go up

@themadhatter They will continue paying

The customers OP are talking about are literally the same guys that buy into JP Morgan, Mckinsey, etc.

That nitpicking is their default behavior

They'll gladly pay more money and continue their nitpicking

If it's truly the top 5% of richest people like OP states, then that's the niche's behavior

@613jono [sup]bingo.[/sup] You picked the most nit picky clientele you could. And that can be profitable. Most of them will spend to get what they want. Just start charging for changes.

@snoopylover 100% correct.
Remember the phases of every deal:
Greet, uncover, present solutions, overcome obstacles, make the sale, and express appreciation.

When clients constantly change things, it is often because the service provider did not spend enough time on the uncover phase.
Whenever a client expresses concern or displeasure before the job is completed, revisit the uncover phase until you get to the root of their objection.

@snoopylover Unfortunately there are a lot of grey areas in custom work I pretty much do not do kitchens anymore.

The worst customers I have had are ones that have way too much money.

I make custom furniture now, not built ins except on a rare occasion.

@clusium My thoughts exactly. If you make it so every change you make on their whim they'll run you each step. Magically when it comes to spending money they'll figure out exactly what they want. Really think about it before proposing it to you.

Give your service as usual and charge them for every time you have to change something. That way it'll be worth your time. Also I'd put a time frame for how long these 'fixes' will take to deliver. Give yourself time to manage all your clients that want changes, since you did say you took on too many. Just tell them along the lines of it'll take 1-2 or 2-3 business days to make the changes and get them approved.

@clusium I agree here --- too many customers that give you a hard time. Increase your rates. I learned the hard way running an internet provider/network engineer hustle in the late 90's. Lotta low cost people ticky taking me and I dreadfully undersold my hourly rates. Higher rates reduces the volume but increases your revenues.

@clusium This is the precise description of the us government. The military issues bids with certain specifics. They almost always want a thousand changes before the product is delivered. The contractor, the hardware companies, the suppliers simply look at it as a money making opportunity. You want a change to specifications? It's simply an ADD ON sale. It isn't a change, it's a new request with additional profits.

@clusium You know sometimes you have to ask yourself is this what I love to do or is it the service u provide or is it about the money but none of that matters if you stop being yourself because mind over what matters gets you through life’s hard grind but you can’t grind yourself into the ground peace of mind is like a fine wine that gets better with time so relax rest up and rewind and you will be fine start every day with a smile and a grin walking in the spirit and the spirit will comfort you peace in side will bring peace out side

@adifferenttruth You're vague about the business but it sounds like either scope creep (they are expanding beyond what was agreed) or morely likely, you are permitting unlimited revisions.

Whatever this is, consider a workflow where there is a discussion, you draft something, they get to comment, you have a second final discussion, they get to comment again. Final product delivered. The two revisions are part of the contract. Additional revisions cost $x which is due before the next version is delivered.

Richer people are usually easier clients. I think you need to put up some guardrails around the process so things don't get out of control.

@artemis153 Thanks! And exactly like that is my process. well sort of. It’s difficult with the revisions. When we are designing a whole house, I put general revisions are included but anything over xy is not. Obviously I don’t want to make my clients feeling too much limited so I barely bring this up just not to argue and also not waste my time. It’s not perfect. I guess that’s my issue. I will try to sit on this and revise.

@adifferenttruth First draft was literally pen and paper hand drawn on an printout of a photograph of the house. He was more old school but had a good reputation.

I don't know what happened if someone completely rejected the first draft. He had a defined style (Cape Cod) and so people going to him wanted stuff that looked like his other stuff.