I feel like closing business because all the terrible clients

@adifferenttruth 99% of the time, I provide a consultation service online and that's that. People are happy with the service and since I have started (which has been 8 years) I haven't had a single refund. But... you get the occasional arsehole who isn't happy with insignificant detail. Not that it's tailored wrong but they just prefer to change and change and complain and I have to make it clear that, that is taking up more time thus requires more pay.

I completely get you though. I don't know if I would be this comfortable if we were face to face. I cannot deal with people face to face, it just gets to be too much. Long live online businesses! LOL

Are you providing a physical service?

@paula124 Oh gosh so it’s similar. No refunds or like complaints too but I know they are coming because my energy is depleted and clearly don’t have space where to get it back since the projects now are so tight. Ticking bomb. But anyway!

Yes physical emails. I would rather deal with them online than be with them. Again not a people person here 😀

@adifferenttruth What you're describing sounds super familiar, and when you started talking about their nitpicking and they're top 5%, it immediately rung a bell for me

Have you ever heard of people working consulting jobs at companies like McKinsey? Or doing finance/banking/private equity/acquisition work at super big banks like JP Morgan?

These employees always say their everyday work at $80-100k salary IS fixing random shit that has no value. That's what the clients want.

Literally it's the niche's problem. This is how the clients are. Not so much ADD, just their way of making themselves look smarter and look like they had input into YOUR work

This is how it is servicing the richest. Demanding AF.

I don't know if you can set boundaries. I'd be super intrigued if you successfuly do it

@613jono Oh my gosh! This is it. Thanks so much for this. Oh and half my clients are whether in finance or lawyers (lawyers are the worst of the worst to deal with for some reason). The rest are also of course thanks good normal people.

@adifferenttruth The only way to deal with people like this is charge them for everything or increase your prices to make it worth your while. The top 5% are some of the worst people to work for usually, entitled, snobby, and closed minded.

@adifferenttruth You can charge the PITA clients more money, but even then at some point you have to decide if they are worth it or not. There is nothing wrong with firing a client. I work for an accounting firm and we fire PITA clients who are more trouble than profit. Keeping our good staff is more important than keeping a "rich client". We can replace the clients. It's much harder to find the good employees, and good employees leave if they constantly have to work with PITAs.

Sometimes though, it's not as much as the client is a PITA as it is you just have to find the best way to communicate with the client and set boundaries with them. We have a client that ALL the employees wanted to fire about 2 years ago. The senior partner said no, just raise the bill (his answer to everything). We reassigned this client to a different staff member who took the time to get past the PITA attitude and talk with the client. We now suspect the client has a learning disability and we simply changed how we communicated with him. We let him know, when necessary, if what he was asking for was part of the services agreement or not. If not, we let him know how much the fee would be for that service. He has service contracts with his customers and he gets it. Now, instead of everyone wanting to fire this client, we swap pet pics by text and he tells us fishing and dog stories when he comes in the office to drop off documents.

As for the constant changes, how well do you listen to the clients in the beginning? We have a very lengthly initial consultation with prospective new clients, we ask a LOT of questions, and we listen. Instead of saying "we can offer X, Y, and Z", we now say, "What would you like to see from us? What don't you understand about your biz? How much do you want to be involved?" We're off to a much better start now with our new clients, by obtaining their goals and setting expectations of how we can help them meet those goals. We also don't hesitate to refer prospective clients to other firms if we feel we can't meet their needs (or, in some cases, feel they'll be a major PITA that we won't be able to satisfy no matter what we do, LOL).

Some clients will always be a PITA and those are the ones you ultimately need to fire. Other PITAs just need some patience and firm guidelines to become your best customers.

@fantheflame How cute. I agree the personality/communication skills plays a big role. I do like your questions and I ask but I should ask more. It’s just that the energy that gets into it…. I just feel I don’t have a space for that. I know it’s on me but I acknowledge this is difficulty for me .

Did you ever fired a client? I am scared of like a bad review, reputation or lawsuit lol.

@adifferenttruth Don’t know what you do- but Get it in writing, document all changes and ensure that you’ll be paid for each change that adds extra time. No more lump sum games.

Document everything. I mean EVERYTHING. Rich folks looooove the flexibility money buys.
And tbh we’re all that person to someone so let it go.

@adifferenttruth Maybe it depends on the type of business and if you charge by the hour. If you are well compensated (whatever than means to you), those annoying, judgy demands aren't upsetting. Maybe you don't want to deal with it for $X/hr, but are willing to deal with it at $Y/hr.