I feel like closing business because all the terrible clients

@adifferenttruth Yeah, there's two kinds of bad design clients, the ones who can't give any feedback at all other than 'no' and the ones that think design is easy so they must be able to do it themselves, treating you like some kind of human Adobe product.

The Cape Cod style guy we worked with pretty much we understood we were paying him for his design expertise. We may not use all of it (and didn't), but we were paying him regardless.

We also worked with a home design company with a software/showroom place where they'd render the project and you could provide feedback. Not everybody would proceed with the project, but it was basically a paid sales call for them.

The later company was pulling down serious coin. The architect was making a very high hourly rate.

Hopefully you get a catalog of before/after where you are attracting the kind of people who like and trust your advice.

@artemis153 I like that and it seems like you were respectful & appreciative of their time. As it should be. I mean we have some good clients too - but then we have clients like these and it gets tough, mentally.

@adifferenttruth My cousin was an architect and he would have all of his new clients bring in pictures of features and houses they liked. Then at the initial meeting he'd go over that, asking what exactly about that house/feature appealed to them? He finished by asking what did they want the house to feel like? (Example, one client wanted a large patio area off of multiple rooms so being inside the house would still feel like being outdoors.) When they had changes, he let them know THEN if the changes would involve extra fees, and what options they had if they didn't want to pay the fees. There was quite a bit of compromise when he started doing that, but it also reduced some of the stress on both sides. Knowledge is power.

@fantheflame Thank you! Did he mentioned to them the fees for changes additionally or was it in contract and he just let them know now it’s the time it’s billed additionally? (We have flat fee…)

@adifferenttruth He usually used a flat fee, but the scope of work was clearly outlined in the contract. He didn't charge for every change, naturally, but major changes (or the third change of an item, LOL) he DID tell the client there would be an extra fee. Obviously you have to allow for some changes, but you also have to know when to draw the line or you end up basically working for free.

@adifferenttruth Yeah this guy understands. They are some of the worst/best clients. Just have to set boundaries. I find myself still going back to my old ways with free things trying to judge a customer and it still bites me later. Don’t be afraid to set change order pricing up front for sure

@artemis153 That’s exactly what I was thinking, in every industry I’ve been in, the truly wealthy are always my easiest clients. Mostly because they hired you for your expertise, because they don’t want to deal with it. It’s only ever been lower-tier clients who nitpick with me.

@artemis153 I dealt with the same issue over the last 2 years. Everything was great until I started selling bigger ticket items. As the sales increased, so did the stress levels. I booked builds close together and didn't consider the endless nit-picking and change orders. So, it gradually wore me down, jacked up my schedule, and made the work I loved so much previously, unbearable at times. I worked 14 to 16 hour days regularly last season due to this, and it still wasn't enough.

You have to be careful with em, don't let them push their way around and get free changes or they'll innevitabley take advantage and abuse that to get as much out of you as they can, just to leave you short handed and behind schedule when it's all said and done.

@artemis153 Change orders will make your life easier.

The wrong shade of green? I’ve already got the paint on it, so I need to go to the paint store to buy more paint.

I should be back in about an hour.

Paint $20
Travel time & return $200
Crew waiting time. $200 per person

The change in color costs you time and money, so it ought to cost the client more.

You can write up a change order for almost anything.

@adifferenttruth My experience is the opposite. My most wealthy clients give me room to work and stay out of my way. 10/10 times their projects/ accounts look better.

The broke people seem to be the micromanagers because they have not learned how to delegate.

@jewhite95 So the service we provide is regarding their real estate. I agree with what you said in terms of delegation and yada dada but I guess my burn out is from constant changes and anything being to their liking. I feel so overwhelmed by daily communication with them (I too don’t know where they take the time maybe they just love me or to get on my nerves lol) 😂

@adifferenttruth Changes = more time => more money! Restructure your fees so they are based not on project, but on time spent. Or when you do the contract, include that these rates are based on parameters already set and any other services you provide may incur additional fees for services. You’re definitely worth it! And since they’ve got the money, they won’t mind! They know they’re paying for it and they want it to be perfect. Charge them for it!